Pendulum periodic motion; period parameter

In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum with a mass of 0.1 kg and an angle of 7 ° with the vertical. The bob of the pendulum returns to its lowest point every 0.1 seconds. The question asks for the period and frequency, which can be calculated using the equations T= 1/f and T=sec/cycles. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to determine the time period in different scenarios and how to apply this knowledge to future problems. It is important to carefully read the problem and remember that a pendulum goes through the equilibrium point twice during one period.
**Mariam**

Homework Statement

A pendulum with a mass of 0.1 kg was released. The string made an angle of 7 ° with the vertical. The bob of the pendulum returns to its lowest point every 0.1 seconds.
What is the period, frequency?

Homework Equations

T= 1/f
T=sec/cycles
F= cycles/sec

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really confused here s the period 0.2 seconds of 0.4 seconds? Because it is really ambiguous what this 0.1 second refers to.

Some questions I do in class turns out to be four times the given time period and others is only twice. How do we know the difference?

And the real answer is 0.2 sec

Physics news on Phys.org
"The bob of the pendulum returns to its lowest point every 0.1 seconds."
Think: Assuming the bob starts from the left highest point. What time we call period? How does the bob move during one period? How many times does it go through the lowest point in one period?

I
ehild said:
"The bob of the pendulum returns to its lowest point every 0.1 seconds."
Think: Assuming the bob starts from the left highest point. What time we call period? How does the bob move during one period? How many times does it go through the lowest point in one period?
If the bob starts from right max then it takes 0.1 seconds to reach equilibrium then another 0.1 section move to left max then back to equilibrium in 0.1 sec then back to right max (which completes a period)

**Mariam** said:
If the bob starts from right max then it takes 0.1 seconds to reach equilibrium
No, 0.1 s is the time from equilibrium to back to equilibrium. "The bob of the pendulum returns to its lowest point every 0.1 seconds."

ehild said:
No, 0.1 s is the time from equilibrium to back to equilibrium. "The bob of the pendulum returns to its lowest point every 0.1 seconds."

Oh ok I think I get it.
But then how do you know that and be able to apply it to future problems? What can help one indicate whether it is like what I said or like the answer you said.

Read the problem text carefully.
Remember a pendulum or an oscillator goes through the equilibrium point twice during a whole period.

Related to Pendulum periodic motion; period parameter

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

What is periodic motion?

Periodic motion is any motion that repeats itself over a specific period of time, such as the back and forth swinging of a pendulum.

What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete swing or cycle from one side to the other and back again. It is dependent on the length of the pendulum and the strength of gravity.

How is the period of a pendulum calculated?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

How does the period of a pendulum change with different parameters?

The period of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the strength of gravity, and the amplitude (or angle) of the swing. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a stronger gravity will result in a shorter period. The amplitude of the swing also affects the period, with larger amplitudes resulting in longer periods.