How do you connect angular velocity vector with the positions?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to relate the three components of the angular velocity vector to the physical picture of a rotating rectangular book. The answer lies in using Euler angles to describe the orientation of the book and taking derivatives to find the components of the angular velocity vector. From there, the principle axis vectors can be calculated.
rsq_a
I've been working out a question about rigid body rotations, and though I can grasp the basic math, I'm completely lost about the physical quantities. In particular, I'm trying to relate the three components of the angular velocity vector that I found with the physical picture:

Suppose that you're studying the rotation of a rectangular book as it is thrown in the air. Assume that the center of mass of the book is fixed at the origin, so we are only interested in how the book is rotating.

You then define vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_1(t), \mathbf{e}_2(t), \mathbf{e}_3(t)[/itex], which are functions of time, and which are pointed in the direction of the principle axes of the book (basically the length, width, and height). I define the angular velocity vector, [itex]\mathbf{w}(t) = w_1\mathbf{e}_1 + w_2 \mathbf{e}_2 + w_3 \mathbf{e}_3[/itex], which satisfies

[tex]
\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = \mathbf{w} \times \mathbf{r}
[/tex]

where r(t) is a position vector defined with respect to the moving frame,

[tex]
\mathbf{r}(t) = x_1\mathbf{e}_1 + x_2 \mathbf{e}_2 + x_3 \mathbf{e}_3
[/tex]

Suppose finally that I were to give you the exact values of the three components [itex]w_1(t), w_2(t), w_3(t)[/itex] that make up the angular velocity vector. Can you explain to me how we plot the principle axis vectors. That is, how do I figure out what [itex]e_1(t), e_2(t), e_3(t)[/itex] are in terms of the usual coordinates of (x, y, z)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this question lies in the Euler angles (or the Cardan angles). The Euler angles are a set of three angles (\phi, \theta, \psi) which describe the orientation of the book relative to a fixed coordinate system. The angular velocity vector can be expressed in terms of these angles as follows:\mathbf{w}(t) = \frac{d\phi}{dt}\hat{\phi} + \frac{d\theta}{dt}\hat{\theta} + \frac{d\psi}{dt}\hat{\psi}where \hat{\phi}, \hat{\theta}, and \hat{\psi} are unit vectors along the principle axes of the book. By taking derivatives of the Euler angles, we can then find the components of the angular velocity vector:w_1(t) = \frac{d\phi}{dt} \\w_2(t) = \frac{d\theta}{dt} \\w_3(t) = \frac{d\psi}{dt} \\Now, if we know the exact values of w_1(t), w_2(t), and w_3(t), then we can solve for the Euler angles, and thus determine the orientation of the book with respect to the fixed coordinate system. From there we can calculate the principle axis vectors \mathbf{e}_1(t), \mathbf{e}_2(t), \mathbf{e}_3(t).

Related to How do you connect angular velocity vector with the positions?

1. How is angular velocity vector defined?

The angular velocity vector is defined as the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of angular velocity vector?

The magnitude of the angular velocity vector can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time interval it took to occur. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. How is the direction of angular velocity vector determined?

The direction of the angular velocity vector is determined by the right-hand rule. If you curl your fingers in the direction of rotation, your thumb will point in the direction of the angular velocity vector.

4. How is angular velocity vector related to linear velocity vector?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the formula v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the radius of the circular motion, and ω is the angular velocity. This means that the magnitude of linear velocity is directly proportional to the angular velocity and the radius of the circular motion.

5. How do you calculate the position from angular velocity vector?

To calculate the position from angular velocity vector, you need to integrate the angular velocity over time. This will give you the angular displacement, which can then be converted to linear displacement using the radius of the circular motion. The position can then be determined using the initial position and the linear displacement.