How Do You Compute the Divergence of a Vector Function Over a Scalar Field?

In summary, we discussed the calculation of ##\nabla\cdot\frac {\vec {F}(\vec {r}')}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}## and confirmed that the formula ##\nabla\cdot\frac {\vec {F}(\vec {r}')}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}=\vec {F}(\vec {r}')\cdot\nabla\left(\frac{1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}\right)## is correct. We also discussed the importance of specifying which vector we are taking the derivatives with respect to, and that the vector ##\frac{\vec {
yungman
Let ##\vec {F}(\vec {r}')## be a vector function of position vector ##\vec {r}'=\hat x x'+\hat y y'+\hat z z'##. I want to find ##\nabla\cdot\frac {\vec {F}(\vec {r}')}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}##.

My attempt:
Let ##\vec {r}=\hat x x+\hat y y+\hat z z##. Since ##\nabla## work on ##x,y,z##, not ##x',y',z##'
[tex]\Rightarrow\;\nabla\cdot\vec {F}(\vec{r}')=\nabla\times\vec {F}(\vec{r}')=0[/tex]
Then ##\frac {1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}## is not even a vector. How can I perform ##\nabla\cdot\frac {\vec {F}(\vec {r}')}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}##?

BUT
according to http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/95.657%282012%29/Helmholtz_Decomposition.pdf. It uses:
[tex]\nabla\cdot (\Phi\vec A)=\vec A\cdot\nabla\Phi+\Phi\nabla\cdot\vec A\;\hbox { Where }\;\Phi=\frac{1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}\;\hbox {and }\;\vec A=\vec {F}(\vec {r}')[/tex]
You can see this from the bottom of page 2 to the top of page 3. I cannot agree with this, ##\vec A=\vec {F}(\vec {r}')## is function of ##x',y',z'##, it's a constant respect to ##x,y,z## as indicated above.

Even the Wikipadia use the same method:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_decomposition. You can see the 5th equation under "Proof".

Please tell me what's going on. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to which vector do you want to take the derivatives? It's important to say, whether you want to calculate [itex]\partial/\partial \vec{x}[/itex] or [itex]\partial/\partial \vec{x}'[/itex]!

vanhees71 said:
With respect to which vector do you want to take the derivatives? It's important to say, whether you want to calculate [itex]\partial/\partial \vec{x}[/itex] or [itex]\partial/\partial \vec{x}'[/itex]!

I think I got the answer, please verify my finding:

[tex]\nabla\cdot\frac {\vec {F}(\vec {r}')}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}F_{x'}\right)+\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}F_{y'}\right)+\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\left(\frac{1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}F_{z'}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\nabla\left(\frac{1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}\right)\cdot \vec {F}(\vec {r}')+\left(\frac{1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}\right)(\nabla\cdot\vec{F}(\vec{r}'))[/tex]
[tex]\hbox{Because }\;\nabla\cdot \vec {F}(\vec {r}')=0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;\nabla\cdot\frac {\vec {F}(\vec {r}')}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}=\vec {F}(\vec {r}')\cdot\nabla\left(\frac{1}{|\vec {r}-\vec{r}'|}\right)[/tex]

Even though ##\vec {F}(\vec {r}')## is not a function of ##(x,y,z)## but you still need to tread it as a vector and use the product rule. Am I correct.

Last edited:
Indeed, even though [itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}')[/itex] is independent of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], the vector [itex]\frac{\vec{F}(\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}[/itex] is not and it will have nonzero divergence with respect to the unprimed coordinates. The formula you gave in your first post is correct, we should have

$$ \nabla \cdot \left( \frac{\vec{F}(\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} \right) = \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} \left( \nabla \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{r}') \right) + \vec{F}(\vec{r}') \cdot \left( \nabla \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} \right) $$

where the last term involves a gradient of a scalar. As you say, the first term on the right hand side is zero, so only the last term contributes. The above formula shouldn't be too hard to derive yourself, try writing it out in components.

Likes 1 person
king vitamin said:
Indeed, even though [itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}')[/itex] is independent of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], the vector [itex]\frac{\vec{F}(\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}[/itex] is not and it will have nonzero divergence with respect to the unprimed coordinates. The formula you gave in your first post is correct, we should have

$$ \nabla \cdot \left( \frac{\vec{F}(\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} \right) = \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} \left( \nabla \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{r}') \right) + \vec{F}(\vec{r}') \cdot \left( \nabla \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} \right) $$

where the last term involves a gradient of a scalar. As you say, the first term on the right hand side is zero, so only the last term contributes. The above formula shouldn't be too hard to derive yourself, try writing it out in components.

Thanks for the reply, I just updated the last post, please check my work. I think it's agreeing with you.

Thanks

Yes, your reasoning in the post looks perfect!

king vitamin said:
Yes, your reasoning in the post looks perfect!

Thanks

Related to How Do You Compute the Divergence of a Vector Function Over a Scalar Field?

What is the concept of divergence and curl?

Divergence and curl are two important mathematical concepts in vector calculus that describe the behavior of vector fields. Divergence represents the tendency of a vector field to spread out or converge at a point, while curl represents the rotational behavior of a vector field.

How are divergence and curl related?

Divergence and curl are related through the fundamental theorem of vector calculus, which states that the divergence of a vector field is equal to its curl. In other words, divergence and curl are two different ways of describing the same underlying behavior of a vector field.

What is the physical significance of divergence and curl?

In physics, divergence and curl have important applications in fields such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. Divergence is used to describe the rate of flow of a fluid, while curl is used to describe the rotation of a fluid or electromagnetic field.

How can divergence and curl be calculated?

Divergence and curl can be calculated using mathematical operators known as the divergence and curl operators, respectively. These operators take in a vector field as input and output a scalar value for divergence and a vector value for curl.

What are some real-life examples of divergence and curl?

Some real-life examples of divergence and curl include the flow of air around an airplane wing (divergence) and the circulation of water in a whirlpool (curl). In electromagnetic fields, divergence and curl can be seen in the behavior of electric and magnetic fields around a charged particle or a current-carrying wire.