How do you compute the circulation of this fluid (path integrals)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of circulation for a given fluid velocity field on the unit circle and the difficulties encountered in determining if the field is conservative. The suggested approach is to parametrize the unit circle and work out the integral. However, the discrepancy between the field and its gradient suggests that the circulation may not necessarily be zero, even though the unit circle is a closed loop.
randomcat

Homework Statement

A fluid as velocity field F(x, y, z) = (xy, yz, xz). Let C denote the unit circle in the xy-plane. Compute the circulation, and interpret your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the unit circle is a closed loop, I assumed that ∫ F * dr = 0
(the ∫ symbol is supposed to have a circle)
However, when I attempt to verify whether or not F = [itex]\nabla[/itex] f, the two are not equal, suggesting that ∫ F * dr does not= 0
At this point I'm at a loss of how to go about calculating the circulation. Could someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
randomcat said:

Homework Statement

A fluid as velocity field F(x, y, z) = (xy, yz, xz). Let C denote the unit circle in the xy-plane. Compute the circulation, and interpret your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the unit circle is a closed loop, I assumed that ∫ F * dr = 0
(the ∫ symbol is supposed to have a circle)
However, when I attempt to verify whether or not F = [itex]\nabla[/itex] f, the two are not equal, suggesting that ∫ F * dr does not= 0
At this point I'm at a loss of how to go about calculating the circulation. Could someone please help?

You just want to calculate the integral. Pick a parametrization of the unit circle, like r(t)=(cos(t),sin(t),0) and work it out.

randomcat said:

I would rephrase this to "suggesting that ∫ F * dr might not= 0" Note that IF the vector field is conservative then every closed path integral must be zero; however, the opposite is not necessarily true. There are many cases when the field is not conservative but a given closed path integral is still zero (and I suspect that this problem will end up being one of those cases).

Good Luck!

Related to How do you compute the circulation of this fluid (path integrals)

1. How do you define circulation in fluid mechanics?

Circulation in fluid mechanics is defined as the line integral of the fluid velocity around a closed curve in a fluid. It represents the overall flow of the fluid around the curve and is a measure of the strength of the vortices or swirling flow in the fluid.

2. What is the formula for computing circulation?

The formula for computing circulation is given by the line integral of the fluid velocity, V, around a closed curve, C:

C = ∮C V · dr

where dr is the infinitesimal displacement along the curve C.

3. How do you choose the path for computing circulation?

The path for computing circulation should be chosen to enclose the area of interest for the fluid flow. This path can be any closed curve, such as a circle, square, or irregular shape, as long as it fully encloses the region of interest.

4. What units are used to express circulation?

Circulation is typically expressed in units of velocity times length, such as meters squared per second (m^2/s) or feet squared per second (ft^2/s). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as angular momentum or energy.

5. What is the significance of calculating circulation in fluid mechanics?

Calculating circulation is important in fluid mechanics as it helps to understand and analyze the flow patterns and behavior of fluids. It is also used in various engineering applications, such as designing aircraft wings, predicting weather patterns, and studying ocean currents.