How Do You Calculate Work Done on an Incline with Ambiguous Angle References?

In summary, a problem asks for the distance traveled by an object with a force of 80N applied at an angle of 170 degrees from the x-axis. The object moves a distance of 2.2m at an angle of 10 degrees, but it is unclear what this angle is in reference to. The net force equation is used to calculate the distance, but the 10 degrees factor remains unknown due to using all attempts on the problem. The poster suggests using 160 degrees as a reference, but it is not possible to confirm the correct answer with the given information.
Xet

Homework Statement

object with force of 80N at 170 degrees from x-axis...
moved of a distance of 2.2m at an angle of 10 degrees
problem does not state exactly 10 degrees in respect to what...

Homework Equations

net force is equal to force applied in the horizontal direction (force times cosine of angle) times the distance...

The Attempt at a Solution

After using all my tries on this problem (WebAssign), I realized it's not 10 degrees with the applied force because it would be just simply 80cos(170)2.2...

If I were to calculate the 10 degrees factor...how would I do it? I thought about trying 160 degrees of the applied force...but there's no way to find out the right answer because I used all my attempts...

There's a few more I'm bound to have troubles with so I'll just continue posting...

Physics news on Phys.org
Xet said:
If I were to calculate the 10 degrees factor...how would I do it? I thought about trying 160 degrees of the applied force...but there's no way to find out the right answer because I used all my attempts...
Sounds good to me.

Since the first angle (170) was with respect to the x-axis, one would assume that's the reference for the second angle as well.

As a scientist, it is important to always consider all the information provided in a problem before attempting to solve it. In this case, the problem does not state the reference point for the 10 degree angle, which could significantly affect the calculation.

One approach to solving this problem would be to assume that the 10 degree angle is in reference to the horizontal direction (x-axis), and use the given force of 80N at 170 degrees to calculate the horizontal component of the force. This can then be multiplied by the given distance of 2.2m to find the work done at the incline.

However, if the 10 degree angle is in reference to a different direction, such as the incline itself, then the calculation would be different. It is important to clarify this with the instructor or the problem statement before attempting to solve.

In general, when solving problems involving forces and angles, it is helpful to draw a diagram and label all the given information, including the reference points for angles. This can help avoid confusion and ensure the correct calculation is performed.

Related to How Do You Calculate Work Done on an Incline with Ambiguous Angle References?

What is work done at an incline?

Work done at an incline refers to the amount of energy expended in moving an object up or down an inclined plane. It takes into account both the force required to move the object and the distance it is moved.

How do you calculate work done at an incline?

The formula for work done at an incline is W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, d is the distance moved, and θ is the angle of the incline.

What factors affect work done at an incline?

The force applied, the distance moved, and the angle of the incline are the main factors that affect work done at an incline. The mass and weight of the object also play a role, as well as any friction present on the incline.

How does work done at an incline differ from work done on a flat surface?

Work done at an incline requires more energy than work done on a flat surface, as the object must be moved a greater distance to reach the same height. The angle of the incline also affects the amount of work done, as a steeper incline requires more force to overcome gravity.

What are some practical applications of work done at an incline?

Work done at an incline is commonly used in lifting and moving heavy objects, such as in construction or transportation. It is also important in understanding the mechanics of simple machines, such as ramps and pulleys.