How Do You Calculate Width in Hydrostatic Force Problems with Varying Depths?

In summary, the conversation is about dealing with hydrostatic force in Calculus 2 and the difficulties with solving word problems related to it. The person is specifically asking about the differences in solving for the width formula with respect to x and the force that is being referred to. They mention using integration and making an infinite number of rectangles on the two triangles. They also ask about how pressure varies with depth and which triangle has more area exposed to higher pressures.
Virang807
Hello! I am currently in Calculus 2 and we are dealing with hydrostatic force. I get the integration that happens but I always seem to have trouble with solving the word problems. With this problem, I realize that I use integrate by making an infinite number of rectangles on the 2 triangles. I want to know the differences in solving both of them and trying to find the width formula with respect to x. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is unclear. Which force are they asking about? If the plate is sealed against the wall so that there is no water between the plate and the wall, there will be a force pushing the plate against the wall, arising from water pressure. Do you think that's the force they mean?

From the question : ' try to anticipate the answer ' .

Ask yourself :

How does pressure vary with depth ?

For each triangle which has the more area exposed to the higher pressures ?

Related to How Do You Calculate Width in Hydrostatic Force Problems with Varying Depths?

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid on a submerged object due to the pressure of the fluid. It is directly proportional to the depth of the object below the surface of the fluid and the density of the fluid.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated?

The hydrostatic force can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the object below the surface of the fluid, and A is the area of the object in contact with the fluid.

3. What is the significance of hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is important in many practical applications, such as determining the stability of a floating object, designing structures that are submerged in water, and understanding the behavior of fluids in various systems.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the hydrostatic force?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the hydrostatic force it experiences. Objects with larger surface areas in contact with the fluid will experience a greater force, while objects with curved surfaces may experience different forces at different points due to the varying depths.

5. What are some real-life examples of hydrostatic force?

Some examples of hydrostatic force include the buoyancy force on a ship, the force on a submerged dam, the force on a submarine, and the force on a person diving into a pool. It is also important in the functioning of hydraulic systems, such as car brakes and hydraulic lifts.