How Do You Calculate Velocity on an Elliptical Path at a Specific Point?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnitude of velocity when x=0.6m for an elliptical path where pegs A and B are restricted to move around it. The equations used include the equation of the ellipse, the radius of curvature equation, and the acceleration equation. The attempt at a solution involves rearranging the equation of the ellipse, differentiating it, and substituting values to find the radius of curvature. However, it is suggested to find the angle using the slope and use it to calculate the velocity instead.
pollytree

Homework Statement

There is an elliptical path and pegs A and B are restricted to move around it. If the link moves with a constant speed of 10m/s, determine the magnitude of velocity when x=0.6m

[PLAIN]http://users.adam.com.au/shortround/Prob.12-78.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{x^2}{4}[/tex]+y2=1

[tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\frac{(1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2)^\frac{3}{2}}{\left|\frac{dy}{dx}\right|}[/tex]

a=[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] [tex]\vec{e}[/tex]t+[tex]\frac{v^2}{\rho}[/tex] [tex]\vec{e}[/tex]n

Where [tex]\rho[/tex] is the radius of curvature.

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged [tex]\frac{x^2}{4}[/tex]+y2=1 to get x2+4y2=4

I then differentiated this to get: [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{-x}{4y}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{(x/y)-1}{4y}[/tex]

Using x=0.6m, y=[tex]\sqrt{0.91}[/tex]=0.9539

By substituting this into the derivative and second derivatives and then putting these into the radius of curvature equation, I found the radius of curvature. However I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it. Also once I have the radius of curvature, how do I find the velocity?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Υou need not calculate the radius of curvature.
When x = 0.6m find y using the equation of ellipse. If O is the center of the ellipse, find the angle AOC. Then the velocity of A at that position is v*sinθ

That doesn't work. I have an example in my book with x=1.0m and hence y=sqrt(0.75). They give v=10.4m/s, however your method gives v=6.55m/s.

To find the angle, find the slope tanθ = dy/dx at x = 0.6 m, and then proceed.

Thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution. It is important to first understand the equations and concepts involved in order to approach a problem like this. It seems like you have correctly identified the equation for an ellipse and have used differentiation to find the derivative and second derivative of the ellipse equation. However, it is not clear how you have used these values to find the radius of curvature.

To find the magnitude of velocity at a specific point on the ellipse, we need to use the equation for acceleration, a=\frac{dv}{dt} \vec{e}t+\frac{v^2}{\rho} \vec{e}n, where \rho is the radius of curvature. In this case, we know the constant speed of 10m/s and the value of x at the point of interest (x=0.6m). We can use these values to solve for the magnitude of velocity, v, at that point.

It is also important to note that the given ellipse equation assumes that the motion is in the x-y plane, so the velocity vector will also be in this plane. This means that the acceleration vector will be tangent to the ellipse at the point of interest.

In summary, to find the magnitude of velocity at x=0.6m, we can use the given constant speed of 10m/s and the radius of curvature at that point, which can be found using the equations you have provided. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations.

Related to How Do You Calculate Velocity on an Elliptical Path at a Specific Point?

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as a closed curve that is formed by the intersection of a cone with a plane at an angle that is not perpendicular to the base of the cone.

2. How is motion around an ellipse different from motion around a circle?

Motion around an ellipse is different from motion around a circle because the speed and direction of the moving object are constantly changing. In a circle, the speed and direction remain constant, while in an ellipse, they vary depending on the position of the object along the curve.

3. What is the focus of an ellipse?

The focus of an ellipse is a point inside the ellipse that is used to define its shape. It is the point where the two axes of the ellipse meet and is equidistant from all points on the ellipse.

4. How is the motion of a planet around the sun related to an ellipse?

The motion of a planet around the sun is described by an elliptical orbit, where the sun is located at one of the ellipse's foci. This is known as Kepler's first law of planetary motion.

5. What factors affect the shape of an ellipse?

The shape of an ellipse is affected by the distance between the object and the focus, known as the semi-major axis, and the distance between the object and the directrix, known as the semi-minor axis. The eccentricity of the ellipse, which is a measure of how elongated it is, also plays a role in determining its shape.