How do you calculate total heat capacity for a house/wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the total heat capacity for a house using a lumped parameter model. The question arises if the components' thermal capacitances should be added algebraically for parallel or inversely for series. However, this approach may not be accurate due to the large Biot number and it is suggested to use computational thermal mechanics programs instead. Additionally, the possibility of simplifying the model by ignoring certain layers is mentioned.
jzmaster
I was wondering how I might be able to calculate the total heat capacity for a house given the individual heat capacities of the components.

For example, if I take a given wall and break it down into its components for a lumped parameter model, I'll have some thermal capacitances in in parallel. In the circuit analogy, they would be drawn as capacitors. Do these add like capacitors in a circuit would (algebraically for parallel, inversely for series)? I don't imagine I'd have any capacitances in series because each component has an RC pair in parallel...

I realize that a lumped parameter model is not realistic for a wall (the Biot # would be huge), however I'm more interested in the differential equations application of this.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you really mean heat capacity or thermal resistance/conductance?

I doubt its as simple as parallel vs series. For example thermal mass on the outside might not contribute as much as thermal mass on the inside.

I really mean heat capacity; I'm trying to get a very crude approximation of the time constant for the room. Essentially I'm trying to model it as a lumped parameter system with resistance and capacitance. The problem is that I've got series and parallel components due to the construction of the wall. I was thinking I might be able to simplify it down further, but it would seem that I've got to treat each RC pair as its own system within a larger system.

I suppose this is why most people use computational thermal mechanics programs for stuff like this.

If there is a layer of insulation you can probably ignore that and anything outside it.

Related to How do you calculate total heat capacity for a house/wall?

1. How is total heat capacity calculated for a house or wall?

The total heat capacity for a house or wall is calculated by adding the heat capacities of each individual component (such as walls, windows, doors, and insulation) together. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each component by its specific heat capacity and then summing them all together.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of a material?

The specific heat capacity of a material is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of the material by 1 degree Celsius. It is measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

3. How do you determine the mass of a component for calculating total heat capacity?

The mass of a component can be determined by measuring its dimensions (length, width, and height) and multiplying them together to get the volume. Then, the volume can be multiplied by the density of the material to get the mass.

4. Can heat capacity be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as humidity, wind, and sunlight can affect the heat capacity of a house or wall. For example, wind can increase the rate of heat loss, while sunlight can increase the amount of heat absorbed by a wall. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating total heat capacity.

5. Why is it important to calculate total heat capacity for a house or wall?

Calculating total heat capacity is important because it helps determine the amount of energy needed to heat or cool a house or wall. This information can be used to make informed decisions about insulation, heating and cooling systems, and energy efficiency measures to reduce energy consumption and costs.