How Do You Calculate the Volume of Mountains and Polluted Air Around a City?

In summary: It is unclear what would be intended by using the outer surface; nor by rotating about the x-axis, since y(x) extends above and below it.In summary, the city wants to find the volume of polluted air between the y-axis and the function, rotated about either x or y axis. The first part of this was done by integrating the function, and the second part was done by revolving the function around the y-axis. The city is stuck in the second part because they are trying to find the volume that is not part of what they want and subtract it off a greater volume that includes both.
mr3369

Homework Statement

the function is y = -x^2+6x -8

suppose a city is surrounded by a ring of mountains and these mountains can be illustrated by rotating the above function around the y-axis. Find the volume of the Earth that makes up these mountains.

Suppose the city suffers from air pollution and wants to build a system to reduce this air pollution. However, in order to do so, it needs to find the volume of polluted air. This volume is the region between the y-axis and the function, rotated about either x or y axis. The picture for the polluted air is attached.

Homework Equations

the function is y = -x^2+6x -8

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of finding the volume of earth, I integrated the function, using the cylindrical shell method. And I got the answer as 8 pi.
I used the radius as r = x, height as h = -x^2+6x -8,
So I integrated 2pi*r*h, from 2 to 4 which are the x intercepts.

For the 2nd part, I made the function in terms of y, So first I did completing the square and got y=-(x-3)^2 +1
So that gives me x = sqrt(1-y) +3
I used x as the radius, and using disk method , revolved the function around the y-axis.
So radius = sqrt(1-y) +3 ,
Then i integrated pi(r^2) from 0 to 3.
However, my answer gives me root(-2) which isn't possible. So I am stuck in this 2nd part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Best way is to sketch the function first ... then shade the region to be integrated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_of_revolution

For the second part ... you may have to divide the region up into parts you can integrate over and add op the bits. Start out putting it as x(y) if you like, or you can figure a way to find the volume that is not part of what you want and subtract it off a greater volume that includes both.

mr3369 said:
You might want to check the range again. What are you integrating wrt?

I don't think I explained myself properly last time - I'll revisit:
mr3369 said:
Suppose the city suffers from air pollution and wants to build a system to reduce this air pollution. However, in order to do so, it needs to find the volume of polluted air. This volume is the region between the y-axis and the function, rotated about either x or y axis.
x or y axis?

Anyway - the area of interest is between the line ##x=0## and the curve ##y=-x^2+6x-8## ... however: y(x) is an inverted parabola ... so for a particular value of y there are two possible values of x. y(x) also has a maximum - so there is an upper limit to any integration along the y axis.

Rotating this shape about the y-axis should create a trumpet-shape with the point at y=y(0) (if the inner surface is the one intended). It is unclear what would be intended by using the outer surface; nor by rotating about the x-axis, since y(x) extends above and below it. That picture of the pollution would have been handy.

This is why I urged you to sketch the situation.

For the 2nd part, I made the function in terms of y, So first I did completing the square and got y=-(x-3)^2 +1
So that gives me x = sqrt(1-y) +3
What about the negative square-root: does it make a difference? Which side of the parabola is determining the length of the radius?

To do the method of disks - you are thinking of a horizontal disk, thickness dy, centered at (0,y), with radius x(y) so the volume of the disk at y is ##dV=\pi x^2(y)dy##. The trick is to get the correct x(y) and the correct limits for the integration.

I used x as the radius, and using disk method , revolved the function around the y-axis.
So radius = sqrt(1-y) +3 ,
However, my answer gives me root(-2) which isn't possible. So I am stuck in this 2nd part.
How did you choose those limits?

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate the Volume of Mountains and Polluted Air Around a City?

What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the measure of the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a regular solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a regular solid is length x width x height.

What is the difference between volume and surface area?

Volume is the measure of the space inside an object, while surface area is the measure of the area on the outside of an object.

How is the volume of an irregular solid calculated?

The volume of an irregular solid can be calculated by using displacement, where the object is placed in a container of water and the change in water level is measured.

What units are used to measure volume?

The most common units used to measure volume are cubic meters (m3) and cubic centimeters (cm3). Other units such as liters and gallons can also be used.