How Do You Calculate the Volume of a Solid Rotated Around y = -3?

In summary: Alright, I'm glad we figured it out. Have a good night!In summary, the conversation is discussing problems 11-15, where a region R bounded by three lines is rotated about an axis to find the volume of the resulting solid. The specific problem being discussed is problem 14, where R is rotated about the line y = -3. The conversation includes calculations and corrections made to find the correct answer of 126pi.
olicoh

Homework Statement

In Problems 11-15, let R be the region bounded by the lines y = −2x – 4, y = 6, and x = −2. Each problem will describe a solid generated by rotating R about an axis. Find the volume of that solid.

14) The solid is generated by rotating R about y = −3.

The Attempt at a Solution

R(x)=6-(-3)
r(x)=(-2x-4)-(-3)
A(x)=pi[(9)2-(-2x-1)2] = pi[81-(4x2+4x+1]
V=(pi) int[-5,-2](-4x2-4x+80)
=pi(-4/3x3-2x2+80x)[-5,-2]

Ok this is where I realize something is wrong because when I plug -5 and -2 into the equation, the number is negative, which is impossible since volume cannot be negative. I keep getting -774pi. Ah! :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
i got [tex]
\frac{394\pi}{3}
[/tex]
Your integral looks setup correctly re evaluted your integral.

cragar said:
i got [tex]
\frac{394\pi}{3}
[/tex]
Your integral looks setup correctly re evaluted your integral.

? How did you get that? I keep getting a negative number because of that 80x.

i just evaluated the integral from -5 to -2
F(-2) - F(-5)
actually i got a different number the second time i made a little mistake, but you should get a positive number

Last edited:
Huh... That's odd. I was plugging it into my graphing calculator and it kept spitting out a negative number. I just plugged it into a calculator online and it got 126. Weird. So I'm assuming the answer is 126pi.

Thanks!

ya i got 126pi the second time too.
no problem

Related to How Do You Calculate the Volume of a Solid Rotated Around y = -3?

1. What is the definition of "Volume of Solids of Revolution"?

The volume of solids of revolution is the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis.

2. What are the common methods for calculating the volume of solids of revolution?

The most commonly used methods for calculating the volume of solids of revolution are the disc method, the shell method, and the washer method. These methods involve using integrals to determine the volume based on the dimensions and shape of the solid.

3. Can the volume of solids of revolution be calculated for any shape?

Yes, the volume of solids of revolution can be calculated for any shape as long as it follows the rules of rotational symmetry. This means that the shape must be able to rotate around a fixed axis without changing its appearance.

4. How does the orientation of the axis affect the volume of solids of revolution?

The orientation of the axis does not affect the volume of solids of revolution, as long as the shape remains in the same position and the axis is still perpendicular to the plane of rotation. However, if the axis is not perpendicular, the volume must be calculated using a different method.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the volume of solids of revolution?

The volume of solids of revolution is used in various fields of engineering, such as architecture, construction, and manufacturing. It is also used in physics and astronomy to calculate the volume of planets, stars, and other celestial objects.