How Do You Calculate the Velocity and Time Differences of Objects in Free Fall?

In summary: What is the height of the balcony?(e) What is the speed of the ground?(f) What is the height of the ball that was thrown vertically upward?(g) What is the speed of the ball that was thrown vertically downward?The first ball is thrown at a higher speed and it reaches the ground first. The second ball is thrown at a slower speed and it reaches the ground later. The balcony is 0.480 meters above the ground. The balls have a speed of 15.5 meters per second when they reach the ground. The height of the ball that was thrown vertically upward is 1.80 meters. The height of the ball that was thrown vertically
Leo34005

Homework Statement

A worker drops a wrench from the top of a tower 111.1 m tall. What is the velocity when the wrench strikes the ground?

m/s downward

Homework Equations

x=vt+1/2at^2 intial velocity is 0

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 111.1 + 1/2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Leo34005, do you actually understand what these equations mean?

x is distance … that's given, as 111.1 …

(and it's the wrong equation anyway).

Look, in these constant acceleration problems, you can have a u v x and t …

you have to see which of those 5 are given, and which you want (usually 4 out of the 5), and then choose the equation that uses those 4​

Thanks for helping me get the other problem wrong, now i won't graduate high school

Leo34005 said:
Thanks for helping me get the other problem wrong, now i won't graduate high school

You didn't actually do the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2327280&posted=1#post2327280", so how can you have got it wrong? :confused:

Anyway, follow the advice in my last post …

you have to see which of those 5 are given, and which you want (usually 4 out of the 5), and then choose the equation that uses those 4​

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you answer my other problem?

Leo34005 said:
Can you answer my other problem?

Are we talking about the same problem? :redface:

I answered 37 minutes ago … it's your turn.

no, the other post

Leo34005 said:
no, the other post

ok, but which other post?

The problem that has this on the post

Two students are on a balcony 23.4 m above the street. One student throws a ball, b1, vertically downward at 15.5 m/s. At the same instant, the other student throws a ball, b2, vertically upward at the same speed. The second ball just misses the balcony on the way down.

(a) What is the difference in time the balls spend in the air?

(b) What is the velocity of each ball as it strikes the ground?
velocity for b1
velocity for b2

(c) How far apart are the balls 0.480 s after they are thrown?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Velocity and Time Differences of Objects in Free Fall?

1. What is Advance Physics?

Advance Physics is a branch of physics that deals with more complex and advanced topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics. It builds upon the fundamental laws and principles of physics and applies them to more complex systems and phenomena.

2. Why is Advance Physics important?

Advance Physics is important because it helps us understand and explain the behavior of the universe at a deeper level. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and space exploration.

3. What are some common topics covered in Advance Physics?

Some common topics covered in Advance Physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and particle physics. These topics are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level.

4. What are some challenges of studying Advance Physics?

Studying Advance Physics can be challenging because it involves complex mathematical equations, abstract concepts, and unconventional theories that may not align with our everyday experiences. It also requires a strong foundation in fundamental physics principles and critical thinking skills.

5. How can I get help with my Advance Physics homework?

If you are struggling with your Advance Physics homework, you can seek help from your professor, teaching assistant, or classmates. You can also utilize online resources, such as educational websites, forums, and tutoring services, to get additional support and clarification on difficult concepts.