How Do You Calculate the Total Mass of a Cylinder with Variable Density?

In summary, the problem involves finding the total mass of a solid cylinder with a given mass density, where the limits of integration are determined by the boundary of the cylinder, which can be expressed in polar coordinates or as x from -2 to 2 and y from -√(4-x²) to √(4-x²). The z-coordinate varies from x² to 9-x².
TheSpaceGuy
Total mass?

Homework Statement

Find the total mass of the part of the solid cylinder x^2 + y^2 ≤ 4 such that x^2 ≤ z ≤ 9 - x^2 , assuming that the mass density is p(x, y, z) = I y I (absolute value of y).

I have heard about center of mass but this is throwing me off?

The Attempt at a Solution

Thats where the problem is.

Physics news on Phys.org

All you have to do is integrate p(x,y,z) over the volume of interest.

But how would I get the limits of integration. How about choosing x from 0 to 4 and y is x^2 to 4? z is given. Am I on the right track?

Did you think about this very long? x can't 4 and satisfy [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] for any y! And I have no idea how you got "y is x^2 to 4"! What do you get if you solve [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] for y?

Perpendicular to the z-axis, the boundary is the cylinder [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex]. You could let x very from -2 to 2 and, then, for every x, y varies from [itex]-\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex]. Or write it in polar coordinates with r going from 0 to 2, [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

For every point (x, y), the z-coordinate varies from [itex]x^2[/itex] to [itex]9- x^2[/itex] just as you are told.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Total Mass of a Cylinder with Variable Density?

What is the total mass of a solid cylinder?

The total mass of a solid cylinder is the sum of the masses of all the individual particles that make up the cylinder.

How is the total mass of a solid cylinder calculated?

The total mass of a solid cylinder is calculated by multiplying the density of the material by the volume of the cylinder. The formula for calculating volume of a cylinder is πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder.

What factors affect the total mass of a solid cylinder?

The total mass of a solid cylinder is affected by the density of the material, the radius and height of the cylinder, and the composition of the material.

Can the total mass of a solid cylinder be changed?

Yes, the total mass of a solid cylinder can be changed by altering the dimensions of the cylinder or by changing the material it is made of.

Why is it important to know the total mass of a solid cylinder?

Knowing the total mass of a solid cylinder is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as materials science, construction, and transportation. It allows for accurate calculations and predictions of the cylinder's properties and behavior.