How Do You Calculate the Total Mass in Kilograms from Atomic Mass Units?

In summary, to convert atomic mass to metric, you will need to use the periodic table and multiply the atomic mass by the conversion factor of 1.66054 x 10^-24 grams/amu. The formula for converting atomic mass to metric is atomic mass (amu) x 1.66054 x 10^-24 grams/amu = mass in grams. The unit of measurement for atomic mass is atomic mass units (amu). Converting atomic mass to metric allows for easier comparisons and calculations between elements and allows for a more precise measurement in grams. Other metric units such as kilograms or milligrams can also be used, using the appropriate conversion factor.
Nick Jarvis
I have a complete brain freeze sorry, and cannot work this out.

I have a helium atom of 4.0 amu and there are 6.0 x 10^24 atoms. How do I calculate the total mass in kg please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1 amu = 1.66053904 x 10-27 kg

Likes Nick Jarvis
Thanks Dr.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Total Mass in Kilograms from Atomic Mass Units?

1. How do I convert atomic mass to metric?

To convert atomic mass to metric, you will need to use the periodic table. Each element on the periodic table has a unique atomic mass in atomic mass units (amu). To convert to metric units, you will need to multiply the atomic mass by the conversion factor of 1.66054 x 10^-24 grams/amu.

2. What is the formula for converting atomic mass to metric?

The formula for converting atomic mass to metric is: atomic mass (amu) x 1.66054 x 10^-24 grams/amu = mass in grams.

3. What is the unit of measurement for atomic mass?

The unit of measurement for atomic mass is atomic mass units (amu). This unit is used to measure the mass of individual atoms or molecules.

4. Why is it important to convert atomic mass to metric?

Converting atomic mass to metric allows for easier comparisons and calculations between elements. It also allows for a more precise measurement of the mass of an atom or molecule in grams, which is a commonly used unit of measurement in science.

5. Can I convert atomic mass to other metric units besides grams?

Yes, you can convert atomic mass to other metric units such as kilograms or milligrams. You will simply need to use the appropriate conversion factor for the desired unit of measurement. For example, to convert from amu to kilograms, you would multiply the atomic mass by 1.66054 x 10^-27 kilograms/amu.