Reduced mass to atomic mass units conversion help please

In summary, the conversation is about understanding how to convert the reduced mass into atomic mass units. The equation for reduced mass is $m_1m_2/(m_1+m_2)$ and for two similar masses, it becomes $m^2 / 2m = 1/2 * m$. To convert to atomic mass units, the book uses the value of 1/2u, which is obtained by substituting the mass of 4u for $m_4$ in the equation.
TheCelt
Hello

I am trying to understand how to write the reduced mass into atomic mass units but i am confused how it was done.

The equation is

$$m_1m_2/(m_1+m_2)$$

For two similar masses in my particular case i have:

$$m^2 / 2m = 1/2 * m$$

Then to convert to atomic mass units, the book says it gives:
1604877616274.png

But how did they get that value? I had $$1/2 * u$$My conversion must be failing me, i am not sure how they got that value..

Physics news on Phys.org
So the book has ##m_4 = 4u## while you have ##m_4 = u## ?

Hard to tell which is which on PF since ##m_4## hasn't been introduced here. Is it described somehow in the book ?

@BvU it was representing a $$_2^4 He$$

Don't know how to write it inline with my sentence, anyway it does seem I forgot that it would be 4u.

Likes BvU
All clear ! (the subscript 4 was a giveaway :wink: )

Inline ##\LaTeX## by enclosing it in double #: ##\LaTeX##

Related to Reduced mass to atomic mass units conversion help please

1. What is reduced mass?

Reduced mass is a concept used in physics to describe the effective mass of a system of two or more particles in motion. It takes into account the masses and relative distances of the particles.

2. How is reduced mass calculated?

The reduced mass is calculated using the formula μ = m1m2 / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the individual masses of the particles.

3. What are atomic mass units?

Atomic mass units (amu) are a unit of measurement used to express the mass of atoms and molecules. It is defined as 1/12th of the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

4. How do you convert reduced mass to atomic mass units?

To convert reduced mass to atomic mass units, you can use the formula μ (amu) = 1/2μ (kg) * 6.022 x 10^23, where μ (kg) is the reduced mass in kilograms. This will give you the reduced mass in atomic mass units.

5. Why is reduced mass important?

Reduced mass is important in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and celestial mechanics. It helps us understand the motion and behavior of particles in a system, and is used in calculations related to energy, momentum, and gravitational forces.