How Do You Calculate the Time and Speed of a Toy Car Falling Off a Table?

In summary: It should be right, I think, I did my calculations similar to what you posted earlier.i was keying it incorrectly, bloodthunder your correct. thank you for all the help on this problemIn summary, a toy car falls from a table that is 1.325 m high and lands 0.425 m from the base of the table. The car's speed is determined by the distance it falls horizontally and the initial velocity is due to the distance the car moves in the horizontal position.
merceb49
A toy car runs off the edge of a table that is 1.325 m high. The car lands 0.425 m from the base of the table.

How long did it take to hit the ground?
How fast was the car going?

My tutor even had trouble with this, without a speed this is no solvable, at least to me. Suggestions on formulas? And you can't answer the second one without the first one, so any suggested formulas or words of wisdom?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the time it takes the car to hit the ground first. Use the formula 0.5at^2 = distance. You know the distance the car fell is 1.325 m.

The speed of the car is simply (0.425m)/time.

So i do not have the time, or the acceleration. i can't calculate the acceleration because i don't have the mass of the car. I understand how to get the speed but I don't have the time so I don't know how to solve it. How can I find the acceleration?

I just dropped my pen, what was its acceleration while falling?

What's the acceleration due to gravity?

wow I'm stupid. but i tried this all
.5(9.8)t^2=1.325 and I got around 0.5. And this is still incorrect, should I not use the distance it fell horizontally or should I add both of the distances together?

merceb49 said:
wow I'm stupid. but i tried this all
.5(9.8)t^2=1.325 and I got around 0.5. And this is still incorrect, should I not use the distance it fell horizontally or should I add both of the distances together?

t=sqrt 2h/a

with that formula i got 0.3, assuming i did it correctly (t = sqrt of 2(.425)/9.8)
Is that not a ridiculous number?

merceb49 said:
with that formula i got 0.3, assuming i did it correctly (t = sqrt of 2(.425)/9.8)
Is that not a ridiculous number?

h=1.325, not .425

Also, v_f^2 = v_i^2 +2ax

sqrt of 2(1.325)/9.8=t=.5=fast?

merceb49 said:
sqrt of 2(1.325)/9.8=t=.5=fast?

t = time, not velocity

yeah I am trying to answer the first question, and i thank you for coping with my confusion... i understand the second question, i have to find how long it took to find the velocity but i still don't think .5 is the correct time

a) v (vertical speed) = 0
vt+(1/2)*gt^2=s
t = sqrt (2s/g)

b)b) v = horizontal speed
vt+(1/2)at^2 = s
a = 0
v = s/t

Does the answer key say otherwise? If not 0.520s is the correct time. Don't believe it, drop something from 1.3 m up and see how long it takes to fall to the ground. The initial velocity is only due to the distance the car moves in the horizontal position as there is no initial vertical velocity. The initial velocity, which is the horizontal velocity, is 0.818 m/s.

And get a better tutor.

I don't have my calc. so i can't verify your answers, sorry.

Bloodthunder said:
Does the answer key say otherwise? If not 0.520s is the correct time. Don't believe it, drop something from 1.3 m up and see how long it takes to fall to the ground. The initial velocity is only due to the distance the car moves in the horizontal position as there is no initial vertical velocity. The initial velocity, which is the horizontal velocity, is 0.818 m/s.

And get a better tutor.

Yes, you need a better tutor. I don't mind helping though.

pr0blumz said:
I don't have my calc. so i can't verify your answers, sorry.

It should be right, I think, I did my calculations similar to what you posted earlier.

i was keying it incorrectly, bloodthunder your correct. thank you for all the help on this problem

merceb49 said:
i was keying it incorrectly, bloodthunder your correct. thank you for all the help on this problem

i guess your frustration got the best of ya.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Time and Speed of a Toy Car Falling Off a Table?

1. What causes an object to fall off of a table?

Objects fall off of a table due to the force of gravity. Gravity is the natural force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. When an object is placed on a table, it is affected by this force and will fall off if there is no other force preventing it.

2. How does the height of the table affect the fall of an object?

The height of the table does not affect the fall of an object. The only factor that affects how quickly an object falls is the force of gravity. The height may determine the distance the object will fall, but it will not change the speed at which it falls.

3. What determines the speed at which an object falls off of a table?

The speed at which an object falls off of a table is determined by the force of gravity and the weight of the object. Heavier objects will fall faster than lighter objects due to the greater force of gravity acting upon them.

4. Can the shape of the object affect how it falls off of a table?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect how it falls off of a table. Objects with a larger surface area, such as a flat piece of paper, will experience more air resistance and may fall slower than objects with a smaller surface area, such as a pencil.

5. What other factors can affect an object falling off of a table?

Aside from the force of gravity, weight, and shape, other factors that can affect an object falling off of a table include air resistance, wind, and friction. These forces may act upon the object and change its speed or direction of fall.