How Do You Calculate the Tension Tx in a Multi-Mass System?

In summary, the problem involves four blocks connected by thin strings with tensions Tx, Ty, and Tz, with masses A=22.0 kg, B=21.0 kg, C=17.0 kg, and D=27.0 kg. Two forces, F1=83.0N and F2=50.0N, act on the masses. After calculating the acceleration of the system, the tension Tx is found to be 66.69N. However, considering block A alone and setting up a free body diagram, the correct tension of 74.7N is obtained.
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

Four blocks are on a horizontal surface. The blocks are connected by thin strings with tensions Tx, Ty, Tz. The masses of the blocks are A=22.0 kg, B=21.0 kg, C=17.0 kg, D=27.0 kg. Two forces, F1=83.0N and F2=50.0N act on the masses as shown. Assume that the friction between the masses and the surface is negligible and calculate the tension Tx.

See attached Pic.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated the acceleration of this system.
a=(F1-F2)/(mA+mB+mC+mD). a = .3793m/s^2

Then consider A and B as a whole.

So F1-Tx=(mA+mB)*a

Solve for Tx, which = 66.69N
The correct answer is 74.7N... i really don't know what I'm doing wrong, any help / hint would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Mass Tension.png
    Mass Tension.png
    524 bytes · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
Although I can't see your diagram, if I assume that the four blocks from left to right are:

A B C D

and that

Tx is the tension in the rope connecting A and B
Ty is the tension in the rope connecting B and C
Tz is the tension in the rope connecting C and D

and that

F1 pulls to the left and acts on the leftmost end
F2 pulls to the right and acts on the rightmost end

then I get the right answer. I don't think your approach of considering both A and B makes much sense (because then you have three different forces to consider, two of which are unknown). You want to consider a block for which the only two forces acting are one that you already know, and Tx. In this case, that is block A. Set up a free body diagram just for block A and try it again.

Yeah, your right. someone on my online class said to consider A and B as a whole but i guess that's wrong.
thanks again!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Tension Tx in a Multi-Mass System?

1. What is a "Four Mass and Tension Problem"?

A "Four Mass and Tension Problem" is a physics problem that involves four masses connected by strings or ropes and held in equilibrium by the tension forces in the strings. The goal is to calculate the unknown tensions in the strings using principles of Newton's laws of motion and equilibrium.

2. How do you solve a "Four Mass and Tension Problem"?

To solve a "Four Mass and Tension Problem", you first need to draw a free-body diagram for each mass, including all the forces acting on it. Then, using Newton's second law and the principle of equilibrium, you can set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown tensions in the strings.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving a "Four Mass and Tension Problem"?

The key concepts involved in solving a "Four Mass and Tension Problem" include Newton's laws of motion, equilibrium, and the idea of tension as a force in a string or rope. It is also important to understand vector addition and resolving forces into their horizontal and vertical components.

4. Are there any common mistakes when solving a "Four Mass and Tension Problem"?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving a "Four Mass and Tension Problem" include forgetting to consider all the forces acting on each mass, not setting up the equations correctly, and not properly resolving forces into their components. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all the forces are accounted for.

5. Can "Four Mass and Tension Problems" have real-world applications?

Yes, "Four Mass and Tension Problems" have real-world applications in fields such as engineering and construction. For example, these types of problems can be used to calculate the tensions in the cables of a suspension bridge or the forces acting on a crane lifting heavy objects. They also have applications in understanding the stability of structures and the forces involved in pulley systems.