How Do You Calculate the Tension in a Wire Supporting a Sign?

In summary: Yes. Please post the physics classroom link.It is important to make sure the theory you are using makes sense for the problem you are trying to solve.
Lana Elcic

Homework Statement

[/B]
A sign with a mass of 27 kg is hanging in two wires both making an angle of 25 degrees with the vertical. Find the tension in one of the wires. Give your answer in Newtons (N) and with 3 significant figures.

Homework Equations

Ftens=gravity/sin(x) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Force of gravity is 49N, half (finding one wire) is 24.5. The 25 degrees is with the vertical cos(25).

24.5N/cos(25)

This equals 27.0N

The answer should be in the hundreds.
I'm confused on whether I should be using the mass at all, or if I should be converting to Newtons, which would be 264.78, but the division of gravity is already converted to Newtons so I wouldn't see why I'd have to convert it again.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you determine the force of gravity?

Simon Bridge said:
How did you determine the force of gravity?
I read it on a guided problem. That it was the standard.

Lana Elcic said:
I read it on a guided problem. That it was the standard.
That 49N is a standard weight? Standard for what?
The sign has a mass of 27kg. What is its weight?

haruspex said:
That 49N is a standard weight? Standard for what?
The sign has a mass of 27kg. What is its weight?
Standard for Gravity is what I read.
Weight. That should be 9.8(27) right? 264.6

Lana Elcic said:
Standard for Gravity is what I read.
Weight. That should be 9.8(27) right? 264.6
Right. So how did you get 49N before?

haruspex said:
Right. So how did you get 49N before?
I don't know it said on physics classroom that it was standard gravity in Newtons. So if I plug that in instead of 49 I should be correct?

Lana Elcic said:
I don't know it said on physics classroom that it was standard gravity in Newtons. So if I plug that in instead of 49 I should be correct?
Yes. Please post the physics classroom link.

It is important to make sure the theory you are using makes sense for the problem you are trying to solve.

You have probably noticed that different things may have different weights in the same gravity... does it make sense to use, as you did above, a single standard weight for all objects? If the wire had to support a car, or a twig, wouldn't you expect the tension to be different? Asking this sort of question is a core skill in science.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Tension in a Wire Supporting a Sign?

What is tension?

Tension is the pulling or stretching force exerted by an object, such as a wire, when it is pulled at both ends.

How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and L is the length of the wire.

What factors affect tension in a wire?

The tension in a wire is affected by three main factors: the force applied, the length of the wire, and the material of the wire. Other factors such as temperature and surroundings can also have an impact.

How does tension affect the behavior of a wire?

Tension can cause a wire to stretch or compress, depending on the direction of the force. It also affects the stiffness and strength of the wire. If the tension exceeds the wire's maximum capacity, it can lead to breakage.

What are some real-life applications of tension in a wire?

Tension in wires is used in a variety of applications, such as suspension bridges, guitar strings, and zip lines. It is also crucial in electrical wiring and transmission lines to ensure stability and prevent sagging.