How Do You Calculate Tension and Wave Frequencies in a Supported Wire System?

• Thread starter zalba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary: Each attachment point is subject to a force of magnitude 1/2T.In summary, two uniform posts are kept from falling by a 5.00 m long wire with a mass of 0.732 kg. The posts are identical and have a mass of 25.0 kg each. The tension in the wire can be found using F=ma, and the fundamental frequency of waves on the wire can be found using the equations λ=2L, f=\frac{v}{λ}, and v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{μ}}. The tension in the wire is equal to the force of gravity to prevent it from falling, and the mass of the wire does not affect the tension. The torque on one pivot
zalba

Homework Statement

A wire is used to keep two uniform posts from falling, as in the figure. The wire is
5.00 m long, and has a mass of 0.732 kg. The posts are identical and are uniform in cross
section, with a mass of 25.0 kg each.
a. Find the tension in the wire (assume the wire is horizontal).
b. Find the fundamental frequency of waves on the wire, and the first two harmonics.

Also, theta is 57 degrees for both rods to the horizontal, but on opposite sides.

Homework Equations

F=ma
λ=2L
f=[itex]\frac{v}{λ}[/itex]
v=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{μ}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part b seems fairly straightforward once I have solved a, but I am having some difficulty with it. My assumption would be that the tension in the wire has to equal the force of gravity to prevent it from falling over, such that T=2mgsinθ, but I have a feeling that is wrong. Also, since I am assuming the mass is uniform throughout the rope, that shouldn't have any effect on the tension right?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the absence of a figure, please describe it.

Ok, so what there are are two identical rods, one leaning left with 53 degrees to the horizontal, and the other leaning to the right 53 degrees to the horizontal, both with pivot points on the ground. A wire is attached to the top of both of them, keeping them both up on the angle.

I think I figured out how to do this. I have a torque on the pivot points. If I say that L is the total length of the wire, and l as the length of one of the rod, then the torque on one pivot is

τ=[itex]\frac{TL}{2}sinθ-\frac{l}{2}mgcosθ-mgLcosθ[/itex]

Is this right? I said the positive torque was pulling the rod upright, while the negative was pulling it down, and T is tension.

I said that, looking at one of the rods, that the torque = 0, since it's in static equilibrium. So therefore the wire applies a torque equal to the torque that gravity provides.

torque = 0

0 = 1/2(Tension)(length of rod)sin(θ) - 1/2(length of rod)(mg)cos(θ)

1/2(Tension)(length of rod)sin(θ) = 1/2(length of rod)(mg)cos(θ)

therefore

Tension = (mg)cot(θ)

Are you ready for the exam tomorrow? I'm guessing you're in 131 too ... godspeed.

P.S. Have you been able to solve the spinning wheel problem? I suspect it will be on the exam.

ShouldStudy said:
0 = 1/2(Tension)(length of rod)sin(θ) - 1/2(length of rod)(mg)cos(θ)
Why the 1/2 in "1/2(Tension)(length of rod)sin(θ)" ?

It's half the tension in the wire. Should it just be T?

ShouldStudy said:
It's half the tension in the wire. Should it just be T?
Yes. A wire in tension T is pulling what it's attached to at both ends with force T.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension and Wave Frequencies in a Supported Wire System?

1. What is the purpose of the wire in holding up the two rods?

The wire acts as a support structure to keep the two rods in a stable and upright position. It helps distribute the weight evenly between the two rods, preventing them from falling over.

2. How does the length of the wire affect the stability of the two rods?

The length of the wire plays a crucial role in determining the stability of the two rods. A shorter wire will provide less support and may result in the rods being less stable, while a longer wire will provide more support and increase their stability.

3. Can the material of the wire affect the strength of the support?

Yes, the material of the wire can greatly affect the strength of the support. A stronger and more durable material, such as steel, will provide better support than a weaker material, such as string or thread.

4. What happens if one of the rods is heavier than the other?

If one of the rods is heavier than the other, the wire will need to be adjusted to provide more support to the heavier rod. This will help keep the two rods in balance and prevent one from overpowering the other.

5. Is there a limit to how much weight the two rods can hold?

Yes, there is a limit to how much weight the two rods can hold. This limit is determined by the strength and durability of the wire, as well as the weight distribution of the rods. If the weight exceeds this limit, the wire may snap or the rods may become unstable.