How Do You Calculate the Taylor Expansion of e^(2-x)?

In summary: I see. Thank you so much for your patience and help!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Taylor/Maclaurin expansion for e^{2-x} and the use of this expansion to calculate the derivative of the function. The conversation also mentions the importance of factoring out a constant and the presence of a factorial in the Taylor series formula.
zzmanzz

Homework Statement

Find [tex] e^{2-x} [/tex]

using taylor/mclaurin expansion

Homework Equations

[tex] e^1 = \sum_{n=0}^\inf \frac{1}{n!} [/tex]

[tex] e^x = \sum_{n=0}^\inf \frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just do:

[tex] e^{1+1-x} [/tex]

[tex] [\sum_{n=0}^\inf \frac{1}{n!}*\sum_{n=0}^\inf \frac{1}{n!} * \sum_{n=0}^\inf \frac {(\frac{-x}{2})^n}{n!}] [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you'd want to. About which point are you supposed to expand the function? If it's about x=0, try using the fact that ##e^{2-x}=e^2e^{-x}##.

I'm not sure about which point to expand. I think that a = 0 is a requirement.

Ok so:

[tex] e^2*e^{-x} = [/tex]

[tex] f(x) = C*e^{-x}[/tex]

[tex] C = e^2 = \sum_{n=0}^\inf \frac{2}{n!} [/tex]

[tex] e^{-x} = \sum_{n=0}^\inf \frac{(-x)^n}{n!}] [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=0}^\inf \frac{2}{i!} * \sum_{j=0}^\inf \frac {(-x)^j}{j!}] [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=0}^\inf \sum_{j=0}^\inf [ \frac{2}{i!} ]* [ \frac {(-x)^j}{j!}] [/tex]

Looks good.

Remember that ##e^2## is just a constant. It doesn't need to be expressed in series form, so you have
$$e^{2-x} = e^2\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-x)^n}{n!}.$$ Typically you pull the negative sign out and write ##(-x)^n = (-1)^n x^n##.

ah. yes, I totally forgot so much fundamental calculus stuff it's embarrassing.

Please bare me with me for one more question.

In order to take

[tex] \frac{de^{2-x}}{dx} [/tex]

It's

[tex] h'(x)*e^{h(x)} [/tex]

[tex] h(x) = 2-x [/tex]

[tex] h'(x) = -1 [/tex]

[tex] f'(x) = -1*e^{2-x} [/tex]

[tex] f''(x) = 1*e^{2-x} [/tex]

[tex] f'''(x) = -1*e^{2-x} [/tex]

can I now do
[tex] f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)\frac{x^2}{2!} + f'''(0)\frac{x^3}{3!} + ...+ f^n(0)\frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex]

[tex] f(x) = e^2 - e^2 (-x) + e^2\frac{(-x)^2}{2!} - e^2 \frac{(-x)^3}{3!} + ... [/tex]

[tex] f(x) = e^2 [ 1 - (-x) + \frac{(-x)^2}{2!} - \frac{(-x)^3}{3!} + ...] [/tex]

so that equals the above sum it seems. Much clearer with the constant that you took out. The only thing I don't get is where the factorial n! comes from in the expansion? Sorry I didn't factor out the negative.. just wnated to post quick. I will do it from now on ! I think I might've screwed up in taking the derivatives.

Last edited:
The series should be in powers of x, not powers of -x, when you substitute in for the derivatives evaluated at 0, but otherwise your work is fine.

To see where the factorial comes from, look up the derivation of the Taylor series in your textbook.

Usually when I expand using the taylor/maclaurin series correctly the factorial is present inside the derivatives (i.e. I can factor it out or pinpoint it in the formula)

Like when I expanded ln(1+x) for example, the factorial came from the derivative n times
f'(x) = 1/(1+x) ,
f''(x) = -2*(1+x)^(-2)
f'''(x) = 2*3*(1+x)^(-3) .. etc. ?

In this one, I can't.

I will take your word for it and review it.

The log series, ##\ln (1+x) = x - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} - \cdots##, actually doesn't end up with a factorial in it. The denominator is simply n.

For ##\ln (1+x)##, the nth derivative evaluated at x=0 is, as you noted, ##f^{(n)}(0) = (-1)^{n+1}(n-1)!##. When you plug this into the formula for the Taylor series, the coefficient of xn simplifies to
$$\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!} = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}(n-1)!}{n!} = \frac{(-1)^n}{n},$$ as expected. So the derivatives generate a factorial, but there's also the factorial already present in the Taylor series formula.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Taylor Expansion of e^(2-x)?

1. What is the Taylor expansion of e^(2-x)?

The Taylor expansion of e^(2-x) is a mathematical series that approximates the function e^(2-x) as a polynomial of increasing degree. It is written as e^(2-x) = 1 + (2-x) + (2-x)^2/2! + (2-x)^3/3! + ...

2. How is the Taylor expansion of e^(2-x) calculated?

The Taylor expansion of e^(2-x) is calculated using the formula f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ..., where a is the point of expansion and f'(a), f''(a), f'''(a), etc. are the derivatives of the function e^(2-x) evaluated at a.

3. What is the purpose of the Taylor expansion of e^(2-x)?

The purpose of the Taylor expansion of e^(2-x) is to approximate the value of the function e^(2-x) at a given point and to provide a better understanding of its behavior near that point. It is also used to simplify the calculation of complex mathematical expressions involving e^(2-x).

4. What is the significance of the Taylor expansion of e^(2-x) in calculus?

The Taylor expansion of e^(2-x) is significant in calculus because it allows us to approximate a function with a polynomial, making it easier to calculate derivatives and integrals. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function near a given point and can be used to prove important theorems in calculus.

5. Can the Taylor expansion of e^(2-x) be used to calculate the exact value of e^(2-x)?

No, the Taylor expansion of e^(2-x) is an approximation and cannot be used to calculate the exact value of e^(2-x). However, as more terms are added to the series, the approximation becomes more accurate.