How Do You Calculate the Surface Area of an Enlarged Cylinder?

In summary, the volume of the given cylinder is 400 cm cubed and the height is 10 cm. To calculate the surface area of a similar cylinder formed by enlarging it with a scale factor of 2, you can use the formula 2πr^2 + 2πrh where r is the radius and h is the height. The area factor is (H/h)^2. To find the radius of the given cylinder, you can use the formula V = πr^2h. Once you have the height and radius, you can calculate the surface area of the given cylinder and then multiply it by 4 to get the surface area of the enlarged cylinder.
Elizabeth12
The volume of the cylinder is 400 cm cubed. Calculate the surface area of a similar cylinder formed by enlarging the one shown by a scale factor of 2. The height of the cylinder is 10 cm.

I don't know how to calculate the surface area, but I know that the area factor is (H/h)squared.

Please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Elizabeth12 said:
The volume of the cylinder is 400 cm cubed. Calculate the surface area of a similar cylinder formed by enlarging the one shown by a scale factor of 2. The height of the cylinder is 10 cm.
If there was a diagram attached, I do not see it. Can you attach one?

Elizabeth12 said:
I don't know how to calculate the surface area, but I know that the area factor is (H/h)squared.
You can find the formula if you do a Google search.

Hi Elizabeth! :smile:
Elizabeth12 said:
I don't know how to calculate the surface area …

The surface is two circles and a rectangle. :wink:

The volume of a cylinder is \(\displaystyle \pi r^2h\). If your original cylinder has height 10 and volume 400, you can calculate it radius from that.

The surface area is \(\displaystyle 2\pi r^2+ 2\pi rh\). The first \(\displaystyle 2\pi r^2\) is the area of the two circles tiny-tim mentioned- the two ends of the cylinder. If you imagine cutting the cylinder down its length, you can unfold it into the rectangle tiny-tim mentioned. One side is the height of the cylinder, h, the other is the circumference of the circular end, \(\displaystyle 2\pi r\). Its area is the remaining \(\displaystyle 2\pi rh\).

Once you have both height and radius of the given cylinder, you can calculate its surface area, then multiply that by \(\displaystyle 2^2= 4\).

Thank you for your help!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Surface Area of an Enlarged Cylinder?

What is a geometrical relationship?

A geometrical relationship is a connection or association between two or more geometric figures or objects. This relationship can be described using mathematical principles and equations.

What are some examples of geometrical relationships?

Some examples of geometrical relationships include angles between lines, parallel and perpendicular lines, and the distance between two points on a plane.

Why are geometrical relationships important in science?

Geometrical relationships are important in science because they help us understand and describe the physical world around us. They also allow us to make predictions and solve problems in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy.

How are geometrical relationships used in real-world applications?

Geometrical relationships are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as architecture, computer graphics, and navigation systems. They are also used in fields like medicine and biology to study and analyze the structures of organisms and tissues.

What are some methods used to study geometrical relationships?

There are several methods used to study geometrical relationships, including geometry, trigonometry, and vector algebra. These methods involve using mathematical principles and equations to analyze and describe the relationships between geometric figures and objects.