How Do You Calculate the Sun's Mass Using Mars' Orbital Data?

In summary, Grade 12 Physics covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermal physics, waves and optics, and modern physics. Common concepts that students struggle with include vectors, equations of motion, and electric fields. Helpful study tips include practicing numerical problems, creating summary notes and using online resources. To improve understanding and performance, active participation in class and seeking help is recommended. Potential career options for those excelling in Grade 12 Physics include engineering, astronomy, medical physics, research, and teaching.
Techcom0
Mars travels around the Sun in 1.68 Earth years in an approximately circular orbit with a radius of 2.18 x 10^8 km. Determine the mass of the Sun.

Fairly easy, I know most of how to do it but I keep getting wrong answers. Help me out a bit? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok well you can you can set Fg equal to Fc.

Fg = Fc

G msmm/r2 = mm2r/T2

Simplifies to

G Ms = 4π2r3/T2

So

(6.67x10-11) Ms = 4(3.14)2(2.18x1011)3/(52980480)2

Ms = UDOIT kg

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate the Sun's Mass Using Mars' Orbital Data?

What topics are covered in Grade 12 Physics?

In Grade 12 Physics, students typically cover topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermal physics, waves and optics, and modern physics.

What are the main concepts that students struggle with in Grade 12 Physics?

Some common concepts that students may struggle with in Grade 12 Physics include understanding vectors and vector operations, applying equations of motion, and grasping the concept of electric fields and potential.

What are some useful study tips for Grade 12 Physics?

Here are some study tips for Grade 12 Physics: practice solving numerical problems, create summary notes and concept maps, use online resources and practice tests, and attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor if needed.

How can I improve my understanding and performance in Grade 12 Physics?

To improve your understanding and performance in Grade 12 Physics, it is important to actively engage in class, ask questions, and participate in discussions. Additionally, practice solving problems and seek help from your teacher or tutor if needed.

What are some potential career options for students who excel in Grade 12 Physics?

Students who excel in Grade 12 Physics may pursue careers in fields such as engineering, astronomy, medical physics, research and development, and teaching. Physics also provides a strong foundation for other STEM fields such as computer science and chemistry.