Time to Mars (orbit around Sun given perihelion and aphelion)

In summary, to send a satellite from Earth to Mars, a rocket must accelerate it until it reaches a Keplerian orbit around the sun with a perihelion of 1 AU and an aphelion of 1.52 AU. To calculate the time for the satellite's journey, Kepler's third law can be used, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis. Using this law, the time for the satellite's journey can be calculated to be 516.83 days or approximately 258.41 days when divided by 2.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

Flight to Mars. To send a satellite from Earth to Mars, a rocket must accelerate the satellite until it is in the correct elliptical orbit around the sun. The satellite does not travel to Mars under rocket power, because that would require more fuel than it could carry. It just moves on a Keplerian orbit under the influence of the sun's gravity. The satellite orbit must have perihelion r = 1 AU, and aphelion r = 1.52 AU.

What is the semimajor axis of the satellite's orbit? (this works out to 1.26 AU; answer is correct)

Calculate the time for the satellite's journey. Express the result in days.

Homework Equations

ω(t)=2∏/T
v(t)=R*dω/dt-R2

The Attempt at a Solution

My brain goes a little wonky when I try to calculate travel time without a velocity.

I tried using G*M/r^2=a and plugging in the mass of the sun and the gravitational constant as well as our semi-major axis as r to find the acceleration due to gravity of the sun. Of course the radius is changing and due to the square the acceleration is not a linear function so using the semi-major axis (effectively an average) is highly inaccurate. I'm just not sure what else to use. You could differentiate the function but I don't know how to represent the radius as a function (an ellipse) given only the perihelion and aphelion.

Once you find the acceleration due to gravity you can plug it into our a=R*(dω/dt)-R*ω^2 and solve for T (ω=2*pi/T). Using what I have, though, the answers I have come up with are not correct. (516.3 days)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Kepler's third law tell you?

Thank you!

It tells me that the T^2/R^3 of the satellite should be the same as for the Earth which is 2.977E-19. It worked out to 516.83 which is actually really close to my original answer but I then had to divide that by 2 to get the time until arrival.

Related to Time to Mars (orbit around Sun given perihelion and aphelion)

1. How long does it take for a spacecraft to reach Mars?

The time it takes for a spacecraft to reach Mars depends on the location of the planets in their orbits around the sun. On average, it takes about 9 months to reach Mars, but this can vary depending on the specific launch date and trajectory chosen.

2. What is the perihelion and aphelion of Mars' orbit?

Mars' orbit around the sun is not perfectly circular, so it has a closest point to the sun (perihelion) and a farthest point from the sun (aphelion). Mars' perihelion is about 206.6 million kilometers and its aphelion is about 249.2 million kilometers.

3. How often do the perihelion and aphelion of Mars' orbit occur?

The perihelion and aphelion of Mars' orbit occur about every 687 Earth days, or 1.88 Earth years. This is the length of Mars' orbital period around the sun.

4. How does the distance between Earth and Mars change during their orbits?

The distance between Earth and Mars varies greatly during their orbits due to the elliptical shape of their orbits. At their closest, Earth and Mars can be about 54.6 million kilometers apart, while at their farthest, they can be about 401.3 million kilometers apart.

5. How does the distance between Earth and Mars impact the time it takes to travel to Mars?

The distance between Earth and Mars does have an impact on the time it takes to travel to Mars. When the two planets are closer together, it takes less time to travel between them. However, the distance between them is not the only factor that affects travel time, as the trajectory and speed of the spacecraft also play a role.