How Do You Calculate the Sum of a Fourier Series at Specific Points?

In summary: You can use the Lebesgue integral to evaluate the integral at a point where there is a discontinuity in the function.
ensten

Homework Statement

[itex]
h(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
9+2x , 0<x<\pi\\ -9+2x , -pi<x<0

\end{matrix}\right.
\\
Find \ the \ sum \ of \ the \ Fourier \ series \ for \ x=\frac{3\pi}{2} and\ x=\pi
\\
The \ Fourier \ series \ is:
\\
h(x)=9+\pi + \sum_{n=1}^{inf} \frac{18-2(9+2\pi)(-1)^2}{n\pi}sin(nx)
[/itex]
Also period is 2pi.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already calculated the Fourier series. I however don't know how I can find the sum for the x's. I have searched the internet and looked in my book but I can't find any examples that help me. I'm stuck and don't know how to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you simplify [itex]\sin(n \frac{3\pi}{2})[/itex] and [itex]\sin(n \pi)[/itex]?

jbunniii said:
Can you simplify [itex]\sin(n \frac{3\pi}{2})[/itex] and [itex]\sin(n \pi)[/itex]?

[itex]\sin(n \frac{3\pi}{2})[/itex] changes for different n's. Example: -1, 0 and 1. So I don't know how to simplify that. However [itex]\sin(n \pi)[/itex] will always be 0 for all n.

[itex]\sin(n \frac{3\pi}{2})[/itex] is zero for even [itex]n[/itex]. Try a change of variables so that you will only sum over the odd values of [itex]n[/itex].

jbunniii said:
[itex]\sin(n \frac{3\pi}{2})[/itex] is zero for even [itex]n[/itex]. Try a change of variables so that you will only sum over the odd values of [itex]n[/itex].

I don't quite understand how to do that. I tried the sum function at wolframalpha and I get that it doesn't converge.

ensten said:

Homework Statement

[itex]
h(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
9+2x , 0<x<\pi\\ -9+2x , -pi<x<0

\end{matrix}\right.
\\
Find \ the \ sum \ of \ the \ Fourier \ series \ for \ x=\frac{3\pi}{2} and\ x=\pi
\\
The \ Fourier \ series \ is:
\\
h(x)=9+\pi + \sum_{n=1}^{inf} \frac{18-2(9+2\pi)(-1)^2}{n\pi}sin(nx)
[/itex]
Also period is 2pi.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already calculated the Fourier series. I however don't know how I can find the sum for the x's. I have searched the internet and looked in my book but I can't find any examples that help me. I'm stuck and don't know how to go from here.

You don't work this kind of problem by actually summing the series. You use the convergence theorem. Doesn't your text have a theorem something to the effect that for a periodic function f(x) satisfying the Dirichlet conditions the series converges to f(x) at points where f is continuous and to ##\frac {f(x^+) + f(x^-)} 2## at points ##x## where there is a jump discontinuity? So you can answer the question by examining the periodic extension of ##f(x)##. In fact, you don't even need to calculate the Fourier Series to answer the question.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Sum of a Fourier Series at Specific Points?

1. What is the purpose of finding the sum for a Fourier series?

The purpose of finding the sum for a Fourier series is to accurately represent a periodic function as a combination of simpler trigonometric functions. This allows us to analyze and manipulate periodic functions more easily, and also provides a way to approximate non-periodic functions.

2. How do you find the sum for a Fourier series?

To find the sum for a Fourier series, we use the formula S(x) = a₀/2 + ∑[n=1 to ∞] [aₙcos(nx) + bₙsin(nx)], where a₀, aₙ, and bₙ are the coefficients of the trigonometric functions. These coefficients can be calculated using integrals and orthogonality properties of sine and cosine functions.

3. What is the difference between a partial sum and the full sum of a Fourier series?

A partial sum of a Fourier series is the sum of a finite number of terms, while the full sum is the sum of an infinite number of terms. As more terms are added, the partial sum becomes closer and closer to the full sum. In practical applications, we often use partial sums instead of the full sum to approximate a function.

4. Can the sum for a Fourier series be negative?

Yes, the sum for a Fourier series can be negative. The coefficients of the trigonometric functions, aₙ and bₙ, can be positive or negative, resulting in a positive or negative sum. This is why the sum for a Fourier series is often written as a combination of sine and cosine functions, rather than just a single function.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the sum for a Fourier series?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the sum for a Fourier series. One limitation is that the function must be periodic in order for a Fourier series to accurately represent it. Additionally, some functions may have discontinuities or sharp corners that make it difficult to accurately approximate with a Fourier series. In these cases, other methods may be used to analyze and approximate the function.