How Do You Calculate the Rotational Inertia of a Wheel?

In summary, the problem involves finding the rotational inertia of a wheel given a tangential force and angular acceleration. The equation given is τ = Iα, where I is the moment of inertia, and the torque can be found by multiplying the radius, force, and sine of the angle. By setting the torque equal to the given value and solving for I, the moment of inertia can be determined. To approach similar problems, it is important to understand the physical concepts and equations involved, and to practice regularly.
Mr. Sinister

Homework Statement

A force of 21.09 N is applied tangentially to a wheel of radius 0.340 m and gives rise to an angular acceleration of 1.20 rad/s ^2. Calculate the rotational inertia of the wheel.

a) 7.46 kg . m2
b) 4.98 kg . m2
c) 8.96 kg . m2
d) 5.97 kg . m2

Homework Equations

Do I use some type of inertia equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is I seem to not know where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force is creating a torque on the disk. Can you relate torque to force, and torque to angular acceleration? There are two equations you need to use and put together to find the moment of inertia.

I found an equation that states the total torque equals the moment of inertia of the body. Does this help me somehow?

Well I think you're missing a bit. Does that equation look like this

[tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is angular acceleration.

Yes, you need this.

Now you need to find a way to relate torque to force.

Ok, cool, I found radius times force times sin theta which equals torque.

It seems I have the radius and force for the equation but I don't have Sin. Is the wheel considered 360 degrees?

You don't have to consider the angle here because the force is applied tangentially to the rim of the wheel (so sin90 = 1), and not at an angle.

Ok, so for Torque I have 7.17. In the equation that you gave me I do not have inertia but I do have angular acceleration. How do solve for inertia and tie these two ends together?

In the equation I gave you in post #4, I is the moment of inertia. You know what the torque is now, so you can find I.

Great, Thank You very much ! You are extremely helpful! I know you helped me last time too. I wish I could figure out how to tackle these problems from the get go. How do I know which equations to use?

Well, you need to know the physical concepts so you know what's going on in the problem and can pick the right course of action. Knowing what the equations mean is also important. Drawing a diagram and listing everything you know and everything you need helps to keep track of things. Other than that, just practice. The more problems you do the easier it becomes for you to see how to solve them.

Nice, thanks. I have a test next week and I am trying to figure out some of these problems. I will probably post another one here.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Rotational Inertia of a Wheel?

What is rotational inertia of a wheel?

Rotational inertia of a wheel is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of a wheel. It is also known as the moment of inertia and is dependent on the shape, size, and mass distribution of the wheel.

How is rotational inertia of a wheel calculated?

The rotational inertia of a wheel can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the wheel, and r is the radius of the wheel.

What factors affect the rotational inertia of a wheel?

The rotational inertia of a wheel is affected by the mass of the wheel, the radius of the wheel, and the distribution of mass in the wheel. A larger mass or radius will increase the inertia, while a more spread out mass distribution will decrease it.

Why is rotational inertia of a wheel important?

The rotational inertia of a wheel is important because it determines how much force is required to change the rotational motion of the wheel. It also plays a role in maintaining the stability and balance of the wheel.

How does rotational inertia of a wheel impact its performance?

A higher rotational inertia can make it more difficult to change the speed or direction of a wheel, which can impact its performance in activities such as driving, biking, or spinning objects. It can also affect the handling and stability of a vehicle or machine.