How Do You Calculate the Resultant Force from Concurrent Coplanar Forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the magnitude and direction of 4 concurrent coplanar forces. The suggested method is to split the forces into X and Y components, find the net force along each axis, and then use the equation sqrt(F2X + F2Y) to find the net force of the X and Y forces. The conversation also clarifies that the equation should be sqrt(F2X + F2Y), not sqrt(FX + FY).
nettie2311

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude and direction of 4 concurrent coplanar forces:

10N 32 degrees east of north
35N 50 degrees east of north
25N 72 degrees east of north
85N 40 degrees east of south

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Split the forces into X and y components then solve

Thanks for the reply, but physics is totally new to me and I've been online to try to teach myself but I'm having no luck...can you be more specific.

choose X and Y axis along north, south direction
Find X,Y components like in the pic.

find the net force of vector components along X axis by by adding vectors in same direction and subtracting the ones in opposite direction.
do same for Y axis.

Then find the net force of X and Y forces using this: sqrt(FX + FY)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 447
cupid.callin said:
Then find the net force of X and Y forces using this: sqrt(FX + FY)

Of course you mean sqrt(F2X + F2Y).

Oh yes!
my bad

Related to How Do You Calculate the Resultant Force from Concurrent Coplanar Forces?

1. What is magnitude and direction?

Magnitude and direction refer to the size and orientation of a vector, respectively. In physics, a vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

2. How do you calculate magnitude and direction?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. The direction can be determined using trigonometric functions, such as tangent or cosine.

3. What are some real-life examples of magnitude and direction?

In everyday life, examples of magnitude and direction can be seen in activities like driving a car, where the speed and direction of the car determine its velocity, or in sports, where the force and direction of a kick determine the trajectory of a ball.

4. Why is it important to understand magnitude and direction?

Understanding magnitude and direction is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of physical systems, from the motion of objects to the forces acting on them.

5. How does magnitude and direction relate to other physical concepts?

Magnitude and direction are closely related to other physical concepts, such as distance, displacement, and acceleration. They are also fundamental in understanding more complex concepts, such as work, energy, and momentum.