Finding the magnitude and direction

In summary: The net force necessary to maintain the constant acceleration (4.00 ms-1) is 31.6N, directed 15° north of east.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A 325Kg boat is sailing 15° north of east at a speed of 2.00ms-1. Thirty seconds later it is sailing 35° north of east at a speed of 4.00ms-1. During this time, three forces act on the boat: A 31N force directed 15° north of east (engine), a 23N force directed 15° south of west (resistance due to water) and Fw (due to the wind). Find the magnitude and direction of the force Fw. Express the direction as an angle with respct to due east.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling to break this question down into quantities that I know.

From drawing a diagram, the resultant force in the 'forwards' direction is 8N 15° North of east. Which tells me the boat is accelerating due to the engine and the force of the wind, since the direction must also change.

Could anyone point some things out that might help me get started?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert everything to rectangular coordinates, then just add 'em up ... then convert back into the nautical form.

The nautical form is fine if you are using a plotting table; we learned to do this when I was a cadet sailor ... geometric vectors!

UltrafastPED said:
Convert everything to rectangular coordinates, then just add 'em up ... then convert back into the nautical form.

The nautical form is fine if you are using a plotting table; we learned to do this when I was a cadet sailor ... geometric vectors!

Right, so I want to break everything I know down into it's x and y components. This is simple enough for the force provided by the engine and the drag of the water. I then know that my force due to the wind needs to change the motion of the boat to 4.00 m/s at 35° north of east. Why is this not given as a force/how do I express this in the same form as the others?

The force of the wind you have to calculate .
Write the speeds and the given forces by components.
Calculate the acceleration and then then use Newton's second law to calculate the net (total) force necessary to produce this (constant) acceleration.
Knowing the sum of the forces you can find the wind force.

nasu said:
The force of the wind you have to calculate .
Write the speeds and the given forces by components.
Calculate the acceleration and then then use Newton's second law to calculate the net (total) force necessary to produce this (constant) acceleration.
Knowing the sum of the forces you can find the wind force.

Well, I've made progress but I'm still stuck.

<edit>

I think I have it

Last edited:

Related to Finding the magnitude and direction

What is the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is its length or size, while the direction is the angle at which it is pointing.

How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by its components. The direction can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

What are the units for magnitude and direction?

The magnitude is typically measured in units such as meters, feet, or newtons, depending on the type of vector. The direction is usually measured in degrees or radians.

Why is it important to find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude and direction of a vector provide crucial information about its characteristics, such as its speed, force, or displacement. It allows for accurate and efficient calculations in various fields of science and engineering.

What are some real-life applications of finding the magnitude and direction of a vector?

Finding the magnitude and direction of a vector is essential in navigation, engineering, physics, and many other fields. It is used in activities such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of objects, designing structures, and predicting weather patterns.