How Do You Calculate the Resultant Force Between Two Vectors?

In summary, the problem involves two forces, one with a magnitude of 200 Newtons and the other with a magnitude of 300 Newtons, acting on a hook at an angle of 65°. The task is to find the magnitude of the resultant of these forces, rounded to 2 decimal places. To solve this, the 300 Newton force should be written as a vector in the positive x-axis direction, while the 200 Newton force should be written as a vector at an angle of 65° with the positive x-axis. Once the forces are represented as vectors, their magnitudes can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, giving the magnitude of the resultant force.
oranrene

Homework Statement

Forces with magnitude of 200 Newtons and 300 Newtons act on a hook. The angle between the two forces is 65°. Find the magnitude of the resultant of these forces. Round your answer to 2 decimal places. (Hint: write the 300 pound force as a vector in the direction of the positive x-axis and the 200 pound force as a vector at an angle of 65° with the positve x-axis.)I'm in college trig and was given this question. I'm confused as to how to go about setting it up (I attached a file indicating the method i was going about it with)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess was to do something like sqrt[(200*sin(65))^2+(300*cos(65))^2]

However, I'm unsure if this would yield a correct answer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi oranrene! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
oranrene said:
(Hint: write the 300 pound force as a vector in the direction of the positive x-axis and the 200 pound force as a vector at an angle of 65° with the positve x-axis.)

My guess was to do something like sqrt[(200*sin(65))^2+(300*cos(65))^2]

(there's no attachment :redface:)

follow the hint:

write the two forces as vectors (ie, with x and y components) :wink:

Related to How Do You Calculate the Resultant Force Between Two Vectors?

1. What is the magnitude of resultant forces?

The magnitude of resultant forces is the total strength or size of the force resulting from the combination of multiple forces acting on an object. It is represented by a numerical value and can be calculated using mathematical equations.

2. How is the magnitude of resultant forces calculated?

The magnitude of resultant forces can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the context of forces, the square of the magnitude of the resultant force is equal to the sum of the squares of the individual forces acting on an object.

3. Why is the magnitude of resultant forces important?

The magnitude of resultant forces is important because it determines the overall effect of multiple forces on an object. It can help predict the motion of an object and whether it will remain stationary or accelerate in a certain direction. It is also essential in engineering and design to ensure the stability and safety of structures or machines.

4. How is the direction of the resultant force related to its magnitude?

The direction of the resultant force is directly related to its magnitude. The resultant force will always act in the same direction as the net force, which is the vector sum of all the individual forces. This means that the direction of the resultant force will be in the same direction as the motion of the object if the forces are balanced, and in the direction of the stronger force if they are unbalanced.

5. Can the magnitude of resultant forces ever be negative?

No, the magnitude of resultant forces cannot be negative. Magnitude refers to the size or strength of a force, and it is always represented by a positive value. However, the direction of the resultant force can be negative if it is acting in the opposite direction of the positive coordinate system used to represent the forces.