How Do You Calculate the Power Exerted by an Elevator Cable?

In summary, the problem involves finding the average rate of work done by the cable force on an elevator as it moves up a shaft. The correct approach is to use the equation P=mgv, where P is power, m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, and v is velocity. The final answer should be in kilowatts.
KMjuniormint5
[SOLVED] An Elevator and work

Homework Statement

The loaded cab of an elevator has a mass of 3.0 103 kg and moves 204 m up the shaft in 23 s at constant speed. At what average rate does the force from the cable do work on the cab? Answer in kW.

Homework Equations

Power is the dot product of the force and velocity
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I went about this problem by since Power is the dot product of velocity and the force.
The force would be Tension - W = ma and since ma = 0. tension = W = mg so there is your force m*g

then i take 204m/23s to get the velocity of 68 m/s so. . .

mg*68 to give you the power in watts but since they want the velocity in kW, you divide by 1000 to get to that desided amount. . .

am I going about this problem correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. But check your math in calculating velocity.

haha too funny. . .wow do not know where that number came from

ok so I take my force (mg) and multiply it by 8.87 to give me Power . . but is power what I am searching for?

KMjuniormint5 said:
ok so I take my force (mg) and multiply it by 8.87 to give me Power . . but is power what I am searching for?
Yes. Power is the rate at which work is done (P=W/t). In this problem the work done by the cable force is the product of its force times distance(mgd), so the power is mgd/t, which is the same as mgv.

I do not know what i was doing. . some little mistake. . thanks phanthomJay

Related to How Do You Calculate the Power Exerted by an Elevator Cable?

1. How do elevators work?

Elevators work by using a system of cables, pulleys, and counterweights to move a car up and down within a shaft. The car is propelled by an electric motor that controls the speed and direction of movement.

2. What is the most common problem with elevators?

The most common problem with elevators is a malfunction in the door sensors, which can cause the doors to either not open or close properly. This can lead to delays and inconvenience for passengers.

3. How is the weight limit of an elevator determined?

The weight limit of an elevator is determined by the maximum weight the cables and other mechanical components can safely support. It is usually calculated based on the size and strength of the elevator's motor and other structural factors.

4. What causes an elevator to get stuck?

Elevators can get stuck due to a variety of reasons, such as power outages, mechanical malfunctions, or user error. In some cases, the elevator may also get stuck due to overloading or exceeding the weight limit.

5. How are elevator safety standards maintained?

Elevator safety standards are maintained through regular inspections and maintenance by trained professionals. Elevator manufacturers also conduct safety tests and follow strict guidelines to ensure the safety of their products.