How Do You Calculate the Net Force on an Accelerating Car?

In summary, an 850 kg car accelerates from rest to 33 m/s in 120 m with a net force of 3856.875 N. This is determined using the equation F=ma and the dynamic equation v^2=u^2+2as. The acceleration is found to be 4.5375 m/s^2. The method used is deemed correct.
discosucks

Homework Statement

An 850 kg car accelerates uniformly from rest to 33 m/s in a distance of 120 m. What is
the magnitude of the net force acting on the car?

Homework Equations

F = ma

dynamic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i think i have this one sorted but just posting to see iv got it right .

Seeing as i need acceleration to find the force i have to find it using the info i have so

a= ?
s= 120
v = 33
u = 0
t = not needed .

v^2=u^2+2as

(33)^2 = 0 + 2(a)120

1089 = 240a

4.5375 = a

4.5375 m/s^2

F = ma

850 x 4.5375

3856.875 N

Physics news on Phys.org
discosucks said:
v^2=u^2+2as
Method looks right. (I haven't checked your arithmetic.)

It seems right ,,.

Great! thanks lads! this site rocks! need to find a similar one for chemistry and biology haha

I can confirm that your solution is correct. The magnitude of the net force acting on the car is approximately 3856.875 N. This calculation is based on the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the car, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is 4.5375 m/s^2, which is obtained by using the formula v^2=u^2+2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and s is the distance traveled. By substituting the given values and solving for a, we can then calculate the net force using the mass of the car. This is a good demonstration of how the dynamic equations can be used to solve real-world problems in physics.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Net Force on an Accelerating Car?

1. What is the magnitude of the net force?

The magnitude of the net force is the overall strength or size of the force acting on an object. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How is the magnitude of the net force calculated?

The magnitude of the net force is calculated by adding up all of the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done by using vector addition, where forces in the same direction are added together and forces in opposite directions are subtracted.

3. What is the difference between the net force and the individual forces?

The net force is the combination of all the individual forces acting on an object, while the individual forces are the separate forces acting on the object. The net force takes into account the direction and strength of all the forces, while the individual forces only represent one specific force.

4. How does the magnitude of the net force affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of the net force determines the acceleration of an object, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma). If the net force is greater than zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the net force is equal to zero, the object will remain at a constant velocity.

5. How can the magnitude of the net force be changed?

The magnitude of the net force can be changed by altering the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done by changing the strength or direction of the forces, or by adding or removing forces. It can also be changed by changing the mass of the object, as the net force is directly proportional to the mass of the object.