How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of a Complex Fractional Vector?

In summary, the magnitude of the given expression can be found by taking the magnitude of the numerator and denominator separately and then dividing them. This can also be done using the property ||kv|| = |k|||v||. The 6t in the numerator and denominator can be treated as scalars. The fraction should not be intimidating as finding the magnitude is similar to finding the magnitude of a simple vector.
cdotter

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of [tex]\frac{6t(-3t^2\hat{i}+\hat{j})}{(1+9t^4)^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to take the magnitude for something simple like [tex]3x \hat{i} + 8y \hat{j} + 2 z \hat{k}[/tex] but not this. My lecture notes don't give me any examples of how to find the magnitude of something in the form of a fraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are real numbers, then what is the magnitude of

[tex]a\hat{i} + b\hat{j}[/tex]?

If you can answer this, then don't let the fraction confuse you - just try to rewrite it in the form

[tex]a\hat{i} + b\hat{j}[/tex]

Take the magnitude of the top and the bottom separately and then divide them.

Or, use this property of vectors:
||kv|| = |k|||v||

The 6t in the numerator and the denominator are just scalars.

All are good suggestions but the thing to realize here is that you might be getting scared of the fraction. What is the magnitude of

[tex]{16\hat{i} \over {4}} + {{20\hat{j} \over {4}}[/tex]?

How is it any different from

[tex]{16\hat{i} + {20\hat{j}} \over{4}}[/tex]?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of a Complex Fractional Vector?

1. What is the definition of magnitude when referring to a fraction?

The magnitude of a fraction refers to its size or value relative to other fractions. It is a measure of how many times the fraction is larger or smaller than one.

2. How is the magnitude of a fraction calculated?

The magnitude of a fraction is calculated by taking the absolute value of the fraction. This means removing the negative sign, if present, and considering only the numerical value of the fraction.

3. What is the range of possible magnitudes for a fraction?

The range of possible magnitudes for a fraction is from 0 to positive infinity. A fraction with a magnitude of 0 is equivalent to 0, while a fraction with a magnitude of infinity is equivalent to a whole number.

4. How does the magnitude of a fraction affect its comparison to other fractions?

The larger the magnitude of a fraction, the greater its value is compared to other fractions. For example, a fraction with a magnitude of 5 is larger than a fraction with a magnitude of 3.

5. Can the magnitude of a fraction be negative?

No, the magnitude of a fraction cannot be negative. The absolute value of a fraction will always be a positive number, regardless of the sign of the original fraction.