How do you calculate the location of the third virtual image?

In summary, an observer sees three images when looking at a corner where a red ball is placed. The first image is located at (-1m, -2m), the second image is located at (1m, 2m), and the third image is located at (1m, 2m).
aleksbooker

Homework Statement

Two 3.0m wide mirrors meet at a corner. Taking the corner as the origin of the x/y axis, A red ball is placed at point A (-1m, -2m).

1) How many images are seen by an observer at point O? [Point O is not given coordinates, but looks to be at approximately (-3m, -3m)].

2) What are the (x,y) coordinates of each image?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured there were at least two virtual images, one behind each mirror at a point perpendicular to the red ball. So there's an image directly north of the ball (-1m, 2m) and directly east of the ball (1m, -2m).

Apparently, the third image is located at (1m, 2m) and I have no idea why or how I would have found that. I know that light from the ball strikes both mirrors before reaching the observer, and that the angles of incidence are all the same, but I don't know how to calculate *what* the angle of incidence is! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Each mirror reflects everything in front of it, i.e. everything that you would see if you were placed in the mirror looking out. In that position, how many images would you see?

Should I then mentally extend the top mirror beyond the corner so that it "sees" the reflection from the bottom right mirror?

aleksbooker said:
Should I then mentally extend the top mirror beyond the corner so that it "sees" the reflection from the bottom right mirror?
Yes, but that's usual. An object placed in front of a mirror, but not directly in front (i.e. off to the side a bit) still produces an image in the mirror. It's just that you have to stand off to the other side to see it.

Cool. Thanks for confirming/clarifying. :)

Related to How do you calculate the location of the third virtual image?

1. How do you define a virtual image?

A virtual image is an optical image formed by the apparent intersection of rays that do not actually converge at the location of the image. It is formed by the extension of the reflected or refracted rays behind the reflective or refractive surface.

2. What is the significance of the third virtual image?

The third virtual image is significant because it is the result of two virtual images formed by multiple reflections or refractions. It is used in certain optical systems, such as periscopes, to redirect light and create a continuous view of an object.

3. How do you calculate the location of the third virtual image?

The location of the third virtual image can be calculated using the following formula: D3 = D1 + D2 - 2D1D2/D1 + D2, where D1 and D2 are the distances between the first and second virtual images and the reflecting or refracting surface, respectively, and D3 is the distance between the third virtual image and the surface.

4. Can the location of the third virtual image be altered?

Yes, the location of the third virtual image can be altered by changing the distances between the first and second virtual images and the reflecting or refracting surface. This can be achieved by adjusting the angles of the reflective or refractive surfaces or by using lenses to manipulate the path of light.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the location of the third virtual image?

The accuracy of calculating the location of the third virtual image can be affected by factors such as the precision of the measurements of the distances and angles, the quality of the reflective or refractive surfaces, and the presence of any external factors that may cause distortion or interference in the path of light.