How Do You Calculate Luminous Flux in a Projected Solar Image?

In summary, the diameter of the image of the Sun projected in the focal plane of a f/7 lens with a focal length of 40 cm is approximately 0.37 cm. The diameter of the lens will be 5.71 cm and the calculation of the luminous flux will depend on the solar constant, which may need to be reduced to visible light only.
Pep04

Homework Statement

What diameter will have an image of the Sun (α=32’) projected in the focal plane of a f/7 lens with a focal length of 40 cm? What will be the luminous flux in the image?

Homework Equations

image diameter = α×f
focal ratio = f/D
1 radian = 206265’’

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first question I calculated the diameter of the image of the sun by multiplying its angular size by the focal length of the lens, resulting in approximately 0.37 cm. Moreover, the diameter of the lens will be equal to the focal length divided by the focal ratio, which is approximately 5.71 cm. I know the flow will be directly proportional to the diameter of the lens squared, but how do I calculate its value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Pep, :welcome:

A rather late response, I'm afraid. Not an expert reply either, more an attempt to help:

Your relevant equations don't mention anything related to flux. But you do mention the area of the lens, so you need something to multiply that with. Have you heard about the solar constant ?
You want to check if you need to reduce this to visible light only, I don't know, but I guess not.

Related to How Do You Calculate Luminous Flux in a Projected Solar Image?

What is luminous flux?

Luminous flux is the measure of the total amount of visible light emitted by a light source. It is measured in lumens (lm).

How is luminous flux related to an image?

Luminous flux plays a crucial role in an image as it determines the overall brightness and intensity of the light in the scene being captured. It affects the exposure and contrast of the image.

What factors affect the luminous flux in an image?

The luminous flux in an image is affected by the light source itself, the distance between the light source and the subject, and the reflectance properties of the subject. Additionally, the camera's aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings also play a role in determining the luminous flux in an image.

How can I measure the luminous flux in an image?

Luminous flux can be measured using a light meter or through the camera's exposure settings. Some image editing software also has tools to measure the luminous flux in an image.

Why is it important to understand luminous flux in an image?

Understanding luminous flux in an image is important for photographers and scientists alike. It allows photographers to properly expose their images and create the desired lighting effects. For scientists, it helps in accurately measuring and analyzing light sources and their effects on the environment.