How Do You Calculate the Horizontal Force on a Pendulum?

In summary,A 2.0 kg pendulum ball is pulled 30° from the vertical by a horizontal force Fpull. The magnitude of Fpull is 11.3N.
nx01

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg pendulum ball is pulled 30° from the vertical by a horizontal force Fpull. What is the magnitude of Fpull?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm rather lost with this one - I'm not even sure how to classify it. Any help at all - even a point in the right direction - would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless the problem says otherwise, assume Fpull is at a 90° angle from the vertical.

Force diagram. You'll have three forces: tension, Fpull, and the force of gravity. The tension will have two components.

sorry, misread the post. it said horizontal. So it is definitely a right angle from the vertical

Yes -- diagram it.

Hi all, thanks for your input. Is it right to assume that the force of gravity = the y component of the tensional force, and that the force applied to the ball = the x component of the tensional force? If so, how can I calculate Tx without knowing the magnitude of T? (If my assumptions are correct, I can calculate Ty using Fg, but I don't know how that value could help me.)

nx01 said:
Hi all, thanks for your input. Is it right to assume that the force of gravity = the y component of the tensional force, and that the force applied to the ball = the x component of the tensional force?
Yes.
If so, how can I calculate Tx without knowing the magnitude of T? (If my assumptions are correct, I can calculate Ty using Fg, but I don't know how that value could help me.)
If T is the total tension and the angle is 30o, what in terms of T are Tx and Ty?

If the ball is 30o from the vertical to the right, then T is oriented 130o from the positive direction of the x-axis. Then Tx =Tcos130, and Ty=Tsin130?

nx01 said:
If the ball is 30o from the vertical to the right, then T is oriented 130o from the positive direction of the x-axis. Then Tx =Tcos130, and Ty=Tsin130?
No, not 130. How did you calculate that?

Oops, I meant 120. I've attached a picture (.jpg) showing how I calculated the angle.

Thanks for your responses so far!

Attachments

• Note_20131101_221130_01.jpg
    Note_20131101_221130_01.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 380
nx01 said:
Oops, I meant 120. I've attached a picture (.jpg) showing how I calculated the angle.

Thanks for your responses so far!
Yes, that's better.

I've got the answer :)

For anyone who might come across this post in the future:

Ty=Fg=mg=2*9.8=19.6=Tsin120
So T=22.63
|Fpull|=|Tx|=|Tcos120|=|-11.3|=11.3

Related to How Do You Calculate the Horizontal Force on a Pendulum?

What is force pulling a pendulum?

Force pulling a pendulum is a scientific concept that refers to the force exerted on a pendulum that causes it to swing back and forth.

What factors affect the force pulling a pendulum?

The force pulling a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length and weight of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the strength of the force applied.

How is the force pulling a pendulum measured?

The force pulling a pendulum can be measured using a spring scale or by calculating the gravitational force acting on the pendulum based on its mass and acceleration.

What is the relationship between the force pulling a pendulum and its motion?

The force pulling a pendulum is directly related to its motion. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration and speed of the pendulum. However, the force also affects the period, or the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one swing.

Can the force pulling a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the force pulling a pendulum can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as changing the weight or length of the pendulum or adjusting the angle of release.