Complex Pulley/Force/Circular motion question.

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of force needed to keep a mass from falling when a rope is wrapped around a horizontal pole at an angle θ with a friction coefficient of μ and a radius of r. The solution involves using the Eytelwein formula and drawing a FBD for a small piece of rope.
berkdude022

Homework Statement

A rope is wrapped through an angle θ about a horizontal pole (So for ex-
ample, θ = 2π would imply the rope goes around one full time). The rope and
the pole have a static friction coeffecient of μ, and the pole is of radius r. From
one end of the rope hangs a mass m. How much force must be exerted on the
other end of the rope to keep the mass from falling?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fc=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to draw out FBDs for each section and I got that the string on the left side has a Fpull in the downward direciton, a tension force pulling upward and a friction force upward. On the mass, I have mg pulling down, tension and Fpull in the upward direction.

I have the diagram uploaded.

Attachments

• ss+(2015-09-27+at+11.37.32).png
    ss+(2015-09-27+at+11.37.32).png
    1.3 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
This situation has quite a special solution, the formula you need is named after a German scientist: Eytelwein. I don't know if your task is to derive the formula by yourself, but this wouldn't be very easy. If you want to try it you have to draw the FBD for a small piece of rope (for a small angle dθ).

Related to Complex Pulley/Force/Circular motion question.

1. What is a complex pulley system?

A complex pulley system is a mechanical device that uses a combination of pulleys and ropes or belts to transfer force and motion from one point to another. It is often used to increase or decrease the applied force or change the direction of motion.

2. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by using one or more wheels with a grooved rim and a rope or belt running along the groove. When one end of the rope is pulled, the wheel rotates and the other end of the rope moves, transferring force and motion to the object attached to it.

3. What is the difference between a simple and complex pulley system?

A simple pulley system consists of one wheel and one rope, while a complex pulley system has multiple wheels and ropes, allowing for more complex combinations of force and motion. A simple pulley can only change the direction of force, while a complex pulley can also increase or decrease the applied force.

4. How does circular motion affect a pulley system?

Circular motion can affect a pulley system by changing the direction of force and motion. When a pulley is used in a circular motion, the force applied to the rope or belt causes the pulley to rotate, transferring the force and motion to the attached object.

5. What are some real-life applications of a complex pulley system?

Complex pulley systems are commonly used in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment to lift heavy objects. They are also used in exercise equipment, such as weight machines, and in transportation systems, such as bicycles and cars.