How Do You Calculate the Force Between Children on Ice?

In summary, a larger boy on skates pulls three small children with masses of 20kg, 24kg, and 16kg across a frozen pond via a horizontal rope held by the first child (20kg). Using the formula Fnet=ma, the acceleration of the skater is calculated to be 2.25. To ensure that the chain is not broken, each pair of children must hold hands with a force of 90.0N and 36.0N, which is found by adding the masses being accelerated (24kg and 16kg) and using the same formula.
AliciaNoogles

Homework Statement

Three small children of mass, 20kg (first child),24kg(middle child) and 16kg (third child), respectively, hold hands and are pulled across a smooth frozen pond (which will occur sooner rather than later) by a larger boy on skates. He pulls thm via horizontal rope being held by the first child (20kg). The skater pulls on the rope with a force of 135N. Calculate each of the following :
-the acceleration of the skater
-the force with which each pair of children must hold hands to ensure that the chain is not broken.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the first part, which was 2.25, but for some reason i can't seem to get the right answer for the second part (90.0N, 36.0N). I've tried using Fnet=ma for the second part aswell, and haven't thought up anything else. I'm studying for a test, which is why I need to figure out how to do this, any help would be very much appreciated!

Never mind! i figured it out!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What numbers are you using in the F=ma formula?

I was adding the 20 and 24 and then multiplying by acceleration. I understand what I was doing wrong now, regardless, thank you for answering so fast!

I'm glad you found the right answer.

You came to the conclusion that you add the 24 and 16 together instead, because those are the masses being accelerated, right?

yes I did. Took me longer than I'm proud of though haha. Thanks

Related to How Do You Calculate the Force Between Children on Ice?

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two masses?

The formula for calculating the force between two masses is given by the universal law of gravitation, F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. How does the distance between two masses affect the force between them?

The force between two masses is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the masses increases, the force between them decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force between them increases.

3. What is the role of the gravitational constant in the force between two masses?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is a universal constant and has the same value in any location in the universe.

4. Can the force between two masses be negative?

No, the force between two masses cannot be negative. The force between two masses is always attractive, meaning it pulls the masses towards each other. However, the direction of the force can be negative, indicating that it is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the force between two masses?

The force between two masses is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that as the mass of one object increases, the force between it and the other object also increases. However, the force between two objects can also be affected by the distance between them.