How Do You Calculate the Expected Number of Winning Couples in a Raffle?

• Thread starter dyno0919
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the question asks for the expected number of couples for which both members win in a raffle where 20 couples are present and 10 winners are chosen. Using the method of indicators, this can be calculated by finding the expected value of the sum of all Ai, where Ai is 1 if both members of the ith couple win and 0 otherwise. To calculate P(Ai), one must consider the total number of outcomes for winners (40nCr10) and then determine the numerator based on the probability of one person winning and their counterpart winning.
dyno0919

Homework Statement

There are 20 couples who attend a party where there is a raffle. 10 Winners are chosen in the raffle. What is the expected number of couples for which both members win.

Homework Equations

Assuming method of indicators is used to solve the problem, Ai={members of ith couple win}.

The Attempt at a Solution

The Expected value would be the sum of all P(Ai), or 20P(Ai), correct?
I'm having a little trouble figuring out what P(Ai) would be though. If there are 20 couples, then there are 40 people. So the total number of outcomes for winners is 40nCr10, right? I'm not quite sure what the numerator would be in this instance however... Then I thought just going through straight numerical probability, the probability of one person winning would be 10/40, and their counterpart winning would then be 1/39, so P(Ai)=10/(40*39)? I still feel as though that is incorrect however.

Any insight you all could provide would be very helpful! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If Ai is 1 if both members of the ith couple win, and 0 otherwise, then the question is asking you to compute the expected value of

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{20} A_i [/tex]

The two questions then are:
1.) Do you see why this is the case?
2.) Do you see how to calculate the expected value of this thing?

Yes, essentially that is what I was trying to write in my first sentence under "Attempt at a solution" but I don't know how to write summation notation on this site haha. My question really was how to calculate P(Ai).

I thought it might be something divided by 40choose10, but am unsure how to find the numerator in that case. Otherwise it might be (10/40) for picking the first winner, then (1/39) for picking their counterpart in the couple, e.g. P(Ai)=10/(39*40). I'm very skeptical of that answer for several reasons, the most important of which being that the expected value would only end up being .13 couples or somewhere thereabouts.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Expected Number of Winning Couples in a Raffle?

1. What is the "Method of Indicators"?

The Method of Indicators is a statistical technique used to measure and analyze data in order to identify patterns and trends. It involves the use of specific indicators or variables to represent different aspects of a larger concept or phenomenon.

2. How does the Method of Indicators work?

The Method of Indicators works by selecting a set of indicators that are closely related to the concept being studied. These indicators are then used to measure and assess the concept, providing quantitative data that can be analyzed and compared.

3. What are the benefits of using the Method of Indicators?

The Method of Indicators offers several benefits, including the ability to identify and analyze complex patterns and trends, the ability to compare and contrast different aspects of a concept, and the ability to provide quantitative data that can be used to inform decision-making.

4. What are some examples of the Method of Indicators in use?

The Method of Indicators can be used in a variety of fields, such as economics, sociology, and public health. Examples include using economic indicators to measure the health of a country's economy, using social indicators to measure the well-being of a community, and using health indicators to track and monitor the spread of a disease.

5. Are there any limitations to the Method of Indicators?

Like any statistical technique, the Method of Indicators has some limitations. These include the potential for bias or error in the selection of indicators, the potential for oversimplification of complex concepts, and the potential for data to be misinterpreted or misused. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using the Method of Indicators in research or decision-making.