How Do You Calculate the Derivative of sin(sqrt(3x+5))?

In summary, when differentiating (sin(x))^2, we must use the chain rule to get 2*sin(x)*cos(x) instead of just 2*cos(x).
Torshi

Homework Statement

Finding derivative of (sin(sqt3x+5))

Homework Equations

None given. Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is: (cos(sqrt3x+5)) * 1/2(sqrt3x+5) * 3

but I don't know how to get to the 3.

I turned sin into cos and multiplied by the inside derivative giving the first two parts of the answer. How do I get 3? - is that from the inside derivative of 3x+5? How do you know which is outside or inside of a derivative

Physics news on Phys.org
Another problem:

5√(x^2+1)^4 <-- That's all under the square root.

i know the answer. But how do I figure out which is the outside then multiply that by the inside derivative?

I understand how this becomes [(x^2+1)^4]^1/5 but then it turns into (x^2+1)^4/5 were the exponents multiplied 4/1 * 1/5 = 4/5?

Then from there it becomes 4/5(x^2+1)^-1/5 * 2x

Last edited:
Torshi said:

Homework Statement

Finding derivative of (sin(sqt3x+5))

Homework Equations

None given. Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is: (cos(sqrt3x+5)) * 1/2(sqrt3x+5) * 3

but I don't know how to get to the 3.

I turned sin into cos and multiplied by the inside derivative giving the first two parts of the answer. How do I get 3? - is that from the inside derivative of 3x+5? How do you know which is outside or inside of a derivative

sin() is outside, sqrt() is inside of that. And 3x+5 is inside of sqrt(). You need two stages of chain rule.

Torshi said:
Another problem:

5√(x^2+1)^4 <-- That's all under the square root.

i know the answer. But how do I figure out which is the outside then multiply that by the inside derivative?

I understand how this becomes [(x^2+1)^4]^1/5 but then it turns into (x^2+1)^4/5 were the exponents multiplied 4/1 * 1/5 = 4/5?

Then from there it becomes 4/5(x^2+1)^-1/5 * 2x

5*sqrt() is outside. ()^4 is inside of that. And inside of that is x^2+1

What about this problem..

√x^3tan(x) <-- all under sqrt.

so I did...

1/2*(x^3tan(x))^-1/2 * 3x^2sec(x)^2

but.. the answer says 1/2√x^3tan(x) * (3x^2tan(x) + x^3(sec(x))^2)

I do know that √u = 1/2√u, but I wrote 1/2*(x^3tan(x))^-1/2 due to exponent rule?

Torshi said:
What about this problem..

√x^3tan(x) <-- all under sqrt.

so I did...

1/2*(x^3tan(x))^-1/2 * 3x^2sec(x)^2

but.. the answer says 1/2√x^3tan(x) * (3x^2tan(x) + x^3(sec(x))^2)

I do know that √u = 1/2√u, but I wrote 1/2*(x^3tan(x))^-1/2 due to exponent rule?

That's just fine until you tried to find the derivative of x^3*tan(x). Now you need to use the product rule.

Dick said:
That's just fine until you tried to find the derivative of x^3*tan(x). Now you need to use the product rule.

Haha thank you! I stumbled for sure.

Quick question:

there is a problem i did which was (sin(x))^2

= 2cos(x)) * 1 = 2cos(x) using chain rule, but for the problem I had to use the product rule in which I got...

(sin(x))^2
=(sin(x)(sin(x))
=(cos(x))(sin(x))+(sin(x))(cos(x))
= 2(sin(x))(cos(x))

do both answers equal each other? Trig identity unless I messed up somehow?

Last edited:
Torshi said:
Quick question:

there is a problem i did which was (sin(x))^2

= 2cos(x)) * 1 = 2cos(x) using chain rule, but for the problem I had to use the product rule in which I got...

(sin(x))^2
=(sin(x)(sin(x))
= 2(sin(x))(cos(x))

No. They aren't the same. The derivative of u^2 is 2*u*u'. The chain rule gives you 2*sin(x)*(sin(x))'=2*sin(x)*cos(x). NOT 2*cos(x). Same as the product rule.

Dick said:
No. They aren't the same. The derivative of u^2 is 2*u*u'. The chain rule gives you 2*sin(x)*(sin(x))'=2*sin(x)*cos(x). NOT 2*cos(x). Same as the product rule.

So the exponent 2 comes down multiplying with sin(x) then sin(x) is considered the inside derivative then you multiply that by cos(x)?

I don't understand why it just doesn't become 2cos(x)

Torshi said:
So the exponent 2 comes down multiplying with sin(x) then sin(x) is considered the inside derivative then you multiply that by cos(x)?

I don't understand why it just doesn't become 2cos(x)

Yes! Yes! "the exponent 2 comes down multiplying with sin(x)" then you multiply by the derivative of sin(x). What happen to the sin(x) you multiplied by 2? Did you just drop it? This is just being sloppy.

Dick said:
Yes! Yes! "the exponent 2 comes down multiplying with sin(x)" then you multipy by the derivative of sin(x). What happen to the sin(x) you multiplied by 2? Did you just drop it? This is just sloppy.

Haha alright it's just I have a hard time differentiating between inside and outside so 2*sin(x) with sin(x) turning into 2*cos(x) looks done, but I guess not. Thank you though!

Torshi said:
(sin(x))^2
=(sin(x)(sin(x))
= 2(sin(x))(cos(x))

Someone reading your work would have no idea what you are doing, since you give no indication that you are taking a derivative.

(sin(x))2 = sin(x) * sin(x), but
sin(x) * sin(x) cos(x) sin(x)+ sin(x)cos(x)

What you should be saying is that
d/dx[sin(x) * sin(x)] = cos(x) * sin(x) + sin(x) * cos(x) = 2 * sin(x) * cos(x)

You could have gotten this same result by using the chain rule when you differentiate sin2(x).

Related to How Do You Calculate the Derivative of sin(sqrt(3x+5))?

What is the derivative of square root?

The derivative of square root is equal to 1/(2√x).

How do you find the derivative of square root?

To find the derivative of square root, you can use the power rule and rewrite the square root as an exponent of 1/2. Then, you can use the power rule to find the derivative.

Can the derivative of square root be negative?

Yes, the derivative of square root can be negative. It depends on the value of x. If x is negative, then the derivative will also be negative.

What is the difference between the derivative of square root and the derivative of a square?

The derivative of square root is equal to 1/(2√x), while the derivative of a square is equal to 2x. The derivative of a square is the slope of the tangent line to the curve, while the derivative of square root is the slope of the tangent line to the inverse function.

Can the derivative of square root be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of square root can be simplified. You can use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression, such as factoring out a 1/2 or combining like terms.