How Do You Calculate the Density of a Proton?

In summary, the density of a proton, modeled as a sphere with a diameter of 2.4 fm and a mass of 1.67 x 10^-27 kg, is 2.31 x 10^17 kg/m^3. This was calculated by dividing the mass by the volume, which was found using the formula for the volume of a sphere.
GlobalDuty

Homework Statement

A proton, which is the nucleus of a hydrogen atom, can be modeled as a sphere with a diameter of 2.4 fm and a mass of 1.67 multiplied by 10-27 kg. Determine the density of the proton.

Homework Equations

Volume=(4/3)pi*r^3
Density=mass/Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I first got the radius: 1.2 * 10^-15
To get the volume i did: (4/3)*pi*(radius)^3 and i got 7.2 * 10^-45 as the volume
To get density i just jiust divided 1.67*10^-27/7.2*10^-45
and i got 2.31 *10^17 as the answer which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer.

Delphi51 said:
I get the same answer.

o well. thanks for replying

Related to How Do You Calculate the Density of a Proton?

1. What is a beginner density problem?

A beginner density problem is a basic mathematical or scientific question that involves calculating the density of an object or substance. It is typically one of the first problems that students encounter when learning about density.

2. How do I calculate the density of an object?

To calculate density, you need to divide the mass of the object by its volume. The formula for density is: density = mass / volume. Make sure to use the appropriate units for mass (usually grams) and volume (usually cubic centimeters or milliliters).

3. What are the units for density?

The standard unit for density is grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) in the metric system. In the imperial system, density is often measured in pounds per cubic inch (lbs/in3). However, other units such as kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) or grams per milliliter (g/mL) may also be used.

4. How does density affect an object's buoyancy?

Density plays a crucial role in determining an object's buoyancy. If an object has a higher density than the fluid it is submerged in, it will sink. If an object has a lower density than the fluid, it will float. Objects with equal density to the fluid will remain suspended at a specific depth.

5. What are some real-life applications of density?

Density is used in many real-life applications, including determining the purity of substances, identifying unknown materials, and designing boats and ships. It is also important in industries such as food and beverage production, where density is used to measure the concentration of ingredients in a solution.