How Do You Calculate the Area of the Upper Crescent in Polar Coordinates?

In summary, we are given the equation r^2 = a + sin(θ), where a = 2, and asked to find the area of the upper crescent of the curve. After plotting the equation, we can see that it is composed of two separate graphs, and by integrating from 0 to π on the first graph and from π to 2π on the second graph, we can find the desired area. Alternatively, we can use cylindrical coordinates and integrate from 0 to π for theta and sqrt(2) to sqrt(3) for r. There was initially confusion about using r = -√(2+sin
captainquarks
I am asked to consider the following graph:

r2=a+sin(θ), where a=2

I have a picture of this plot, which I have attached,

We are asked to find the area of the upper 'cresent' of the curve, contained at the top

How would I go about calculating that?

I've found that if I plot r=√(2+sinθ) and r=-√(2+sinθ) that this gives me the separate graphs individually, and that if I integrate from 0-π on the first one, then integrate from π-2π on the second one, if i subtract, i get the correct answer geometrically, using my graphing programme, but i don't know how to do this analytically? (i have attached another image to show the to sections - its the blue section i need)

Any help would be vastly appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 263
  • graph 1.png
    graph 1.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
From my graphing programme, I've found the area should be 4.06-2.139 = 1.921 approximately, if this helps anyone?

I think your going to have to use cylindrical coordinates. From the graph it's evident that the limits of theta would be 0 to pi. The limits of r would be sqrt(2) to sqrt(3) (if your confused about how did I get these limits try finding the max and min values of r by playing around with the theta value).

I get where you have your limits by maximising sin in the range of 0-pi, giving r^2= 2 or 3... I've never done cylindrical coordinates before? We've never encountered them in lessons yet. Worrying

Never mind then lol. I know its definitely not cylindrical coordinates. Though.

Is there any reason you are plotting [itex]r = -\sqrt{2+sinθ}[/itex]? It would be easier if you use [itex]r = \sqrt{2-sinθ}[/itex]. It plots the same circle but the intersecting points are coincident. The you could simply integrate

[itex]∫\frac{1}{2}((2+sinθ)-(2-sinθ))[/itex]dθ

Since these two curves have the same period and starting point you can integrate from 0 to ∏

Related to How Do You Calculate the Area of the Upper Crescent in Polar Coordinates?

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of describing the position of a point in a two-dimensional plane. They use an angle and a distance from the origin to locate a point, rather than the traditional x and y coordinates.

2. How are polar coordinates used to calculate areas?

Polar coordinates can be used to calculate areas by dividing the shape into smaller, simpler regions and using the formula for the area of a polar region, which is 1/2 * r^2 * theta. This formula takes into account the distance from the origin and the angle of the point relative to the positive x-axis.

3. Can polar coordinates be used for any shape?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used for any shape, as long as it can be divided into smaller polar regions. This includes circles, ellipses, and even more complex shapes like spirals.

4. How are polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use an angle and distance to locate a point, while Cartesian coordinates use x and y coordinates. This allows for a more intuitive way of representing circular and symmetric shapes.

5. Are there any real-world applications for polar coordinates?

Yes, polar coordinates are commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to describe the motion and position of objects in circular or rotational motion. They are also used in navigation and mapping, particularly in polar regions.