How Do You Calculate the Angles of Nodal Lines in a Ripple Tank Experiment?

In summary, the problem involves a two-point source with a frequency of 1.0 Hz and a distance of 2.5 cm between the sources. The wavelength of the waves is 1.2 cm. Using the equation dsin\theta = (n-\frac{1}{2})\lambda, the angles at which the nodal lines are located can be calculated by solving for \theta, where 'n' is the nodal line value. However, since 'n' is not given, it can be left in the equation as a variable. The final answer will be the angle as a function of 'n'.
GoJays32
Ok, the following problem I've tried several times to solve, although I suspect that somewhere along the line I'm just approaching what appears to be a simple problem in the wrong way:

-------------------------------
A two-point source operates at a frequency of 1.0 Hz to produce an interference patter in a ripple tank. The sources are 2.5 cm apart and the wavelength of the waves is 1.2 cm.

Calculate the angles at which the nodal lines in the pattern are located far from the sources. (Assume the angles are measured from the central line of the pattern.)
--------------------------------

So here's what is given:

d = 2.5 cm
f = 1.0 Hz
lambda = 1.2 cm

Some formulas/expressions to work with:

1. v = f(lambda)

'v' is the speed of the wavelength

2. (d)sin(theta) = (n-1/2)lambda

Where 'theta' is the angle of the nth nodal line, 'lambda' is the wavelength, and 'd' is the distance from the sources. 3. lambda = (d)sin(theta)/(n-1/2)

This is just a variation of (1). 4. theta + alpha = 90 degrees

*EDIT*

5. theta prime + alpha = 90 degrees

theta prime = theta

sin(theta prime) = x/L, sin(theta) = (n-1/2)(lambda/d)

6. Since sin(theta prime) = sin(theta)

x/L = (n-1/2)(lambda/d), so therefore

lambda = (x/L)[d/(n-1/2)]'x' is the perpendicular distance from the right bisector to the point P on the nodal line
'L' is the distance from the midpoint between the two sources to the point P

Although I think it's safe to say that the 'x' and 'L' variables are irrelevant in this case because they aren't given, and are not in the formula used to solve for angles. I suppose that the same goes for the 'n' nodal number, since it's not given, I need to derive an equation which only involves the variables given, as well as sin(theta), so that I can solve for theta, and, in addition, alpha.

If there any helpful suggestions on how to approach this problem, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the equation: [tex]dsin\theta = (n-\frac{1}{2})\lambda[/tex]

Just solve for [tex]\theta[/tex] and plug in your values for d and [tex]\lambda[/tex]

learningphysics said:
You have the equation: [tex]dsin\theta = (n-\frac{1}{2})\lambda[/tex]

Just solve for [tex]\theta[/tex] and plug in your values for d and [tex]\lambda[/tex]
I would need to have the nodal line value 'n' in order solve for [tex]\theta[/tex], but I don't. Is there some way to solve for 'n'? That's the part I'm lost at.

GoJays32 said:
I would need to have the nodal line value 'n' in order solve for [tex]\theta[/tex], but I don't. Is there some way to solve for 'n'? That's the part I'm lost at.

Just leave the n in there I think.

so [tex]\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{(n-\frac{1}{2})\lambda}{d})[/tex]

Just plug in your values for d and [tex]\lambda[/tex]... and that'll be your final answer. It's asking for the angles... so I think they want the angle as a function of n.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Angles of Nodal Lines in a Ripple Tank Experiment?

1. What is the wave angle nature of light?

The wave angle nature of light refers to the fact that light is an electromagnetic wave. This means that it has both an electric and a magnetic component, and its behavior can be described by wave properties such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude.

2. How does the wave angle nature of light affect its behavior?

The wave angle nature of light influences how light interacts with matter. For example, when light passes through a medium, its wave nature causes it to bend or refract, which is why we see objects as distorted when looking through water or a glass lens. It also causes light to diffract, or spread out, when passing through small openings or around obstacles.

3. How is the wave angle of light related to its color?

The wave angle, or wavelength, of light is directly related to its color. The shorter the wavelength, the bluer the light appears, while longer wavelengths appear more red. This is because different wavelengths of light are perceived by our eyes as different colors.

4. Can light have more than one wave angle at a time?

Yes, light can have multiple wavelengths, or colors, at the same time. This is known as white light, which is made up of all the colors of the visible spectrum. Additionally, light can also have multiple angles or directions of propagation, such as in the case of polarized light.

5. How do scientists study the wave angle nature of light?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the wave angle nature of light. These include diffraction grating, which separates white light into its component colors, and polarizers, which can manipulate the direction of light waves. They also use mathematical models and experiments to understand the behavior of light as a wave.