Calculating λ in a ripple tank lab

In summary, the conversation discusses a ripple tank lab where the goal is to trace nodal lines and use equations to find the wavelength. The equation Xn/L = [(n-1/2) λ]/d is not as accurate as |PnS1-PnS1| = (n-1/2) λ in finding the wavelength. The reason for this is still unclear. The conversation concludes with a request for clarification and help understanding the variables.
queenmurr

Homework Statement

This isn't really an actual homework question but it is regarding a lab so I think it belongs here. In the ripple tank lab I have to trace the nodal lines, plot 3 points in the middle of the 2 lines (one closest to the two sources, one in the middle and one the farthest). From there I use |PnS1-PnS1| = (n-1/2) λ and Xn/L = [(n-1/2) λ]/d to find λ and then compare the values I get with my partner's and explain why some are outliers.

Homework Equations

Why is Xn/L = [(n-1/2) λ]/d not as good as |PnS1-PnS1| = (n-1/2) λ when calculating λ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it has something to do with (n-1/2)λ/d not quite equalling 1 but I still don't understand this.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
queenmurr said:
one closest to the two sources, one in the middle and one the farthest
Do you mean one closest to one source, one closest to the other source, and one in the middle? If not, please explain more.
queenmurr said:
PnS1-PnS1|
queenmurr said:
Xn/L
What do all those variables mean?

Never mind I figured it out, thanks for commenting though! :)

Related to Calculating λ in a ripple tank lab

1. How do you calculate λ in a ripple tank lab?

To calculate λ (wavelength) in a ripple tank lab, you will need to measure the distance between two wave crests or two wave troughs. This distance is known as the wavelength and is typically measured in meters (m).

2. What equipment is needed to calculate λ in a ripple tank lab?

The equipment needed for a ripple tank lab typically includes a ripple tank, a wave generator, a ruler or meter stick, and a stopwatch. You may also need a protractor to measure the angle of the waves.

3. What is the relationship between λ and frequency in a ripple tank lab?

The relationship between λ and frequency (f) in a ripple tank lab is inverse. This means that as the frequency of the waves increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa.

4. How does the depth of the water in a ripple tank affect the calculation of λ?

The depth of the water in a ripple tank can affect the calculation of λ. As the depth increases, the waves will travel slower, resulting in a longer wavelength. This is because the speed of the wave is directly proportional to the square root of the depth.

5. Can the temperature of the water in a ripple tank affect the measurement of λ?

Yes, the temperature of the water in a ripple tank can affect the measurement of λ. This is because the speed of the wave is also affected by the temperature of the water. As the temperature increases, the speed of the wave increases, resulting in a shorter wavelength.