How Do You Calculate Tension and Normal Force on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, a 1140 kg car is held in place by a light cable on a very smooth ramp, with the cable making an angle of 31.0 degrees and the ramp rising at 25.0 degrees. By using the equations Fx = Tcos(31) - w*sin(25) = 0 and Fy = Tsin(31) - w*cos(25) +n = 0, the tension in the cable (T) can be found by setting it equal to (mg)sin25/cos31, and the force of the surface of the ramp on the car (N) can be found by setting it equal to (mg)cos25-Tsin31. There are two unknown
spacecadette
A 1140 kg car is held in place by a light cable on a very smooth (frictionless) ramp, as shown in the figure. The cable makes an angle of 31.0 degrees above the surface of the ramp, and the ramp itself rises at 25.0 degrees above the horizontal.

Find the tension in the cable. (T=?)
How hard does the surface of the ramp push on the car? (N=?)

I am having the most difficult time trying to put the equations together. When I finally think that I put them together correctly, I don't know how to solve for a specific variable. I know that in this problem I will have two unknowns, T and N. I just can't find the reasoning behind putting the equations together. Help!

So far I think that:
Fx = Tcos(31) - w*sin(25) = 0
Fy = Tsin(31) - w*cos(25) +n = 0

I think I need the most help setting up the equations and solving for the answer. Can you please be as detailed as possible?

Thanks!

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 3,642
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have got your resolving right.
w=mg so get T from the first equation, and N from the second.

davieddy said:
You seem to have got your resolving right.
w=mg so get T from the first equation, and N from the second.

ok so for Fx:
I set it up as T = (mg)sin25
cos 31
My answer was: 5508.2 N

For Fy: N = (mg)cos25 - Tsin31
I plugged T into that equation and my answer was: 7288.3 N

Is that correct? What's my next step?

Sorry,the cos(31) was supposed to be under the underlined part in the Fx equation.

spacecadette said:
ok so for Fx:
I set it up as T = (mg)sin25
cos 31
My answer was: 5508.2 N

For Fy: N = (mg)cos25 - Tsin31
I plugged T into that equation and my answer was: 7288.3 N

Is that correct? What's my next step?

I haven't checked your calculation, but there isn't a next step.
You have the forces asked for.

Thanks a lot. I got the answers!

I deduced that your x-axis was || to the slope, and y perpendicular to it.

Here's a tip: you can choose any directions you like to resolve in.
They don't have to be at right angles to each other.

If you resolve in the direction perpendicular to T (the rope) you get
an equation with N but no T.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension and Normal Force on an Inclined Plane?

1. What is the force on an inclined plane?

The force on an inclined plane is the combination of the force of gravity pulling an object down the plane and the normal force pushing the object against the plane. It is also affected by the angle of the plane and the coefficient of friction between the object and the plane.

2. How do you calculate the force on an inclined plane?

To calculate the force on an inclined plane, you can use the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the inclined plane. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the force, using the formula F = √(mg² + mg²cos²θ).

3. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the force by changing the amount of force required to keep the object in place. The steeper the angle, the greater the force needed to counteract the force of gravity pulling the object down the plane. As the angle approaches 90 degrees, the force needed becomes infinite.

4. What is the role of friction in the force on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a crucial role in the force on an inclined plane. The coefficient of friction between the object and the plane determines the amount of resistance the object will face while moving up or down the plane. Friction can either increase or decrease the force on an inclined plane, depending on the direction of motion and the coefficient of friction.

5. How does the force on an inclined plane affect an object's motion?

The force on an inclined plane affects an object's motion by determining its acceleration. If the force is greater than the object's weight, it will accelerate down the plane. If the force is less than the object's weight, it will accelerate up the plane. If the force is equal to the object's weight, it will remain at a constant velocity. This is similar to how force affects an object's motion on a flat surface, but the angle of the inclined plane adds an additional factor to consider.