How Do You Calculate Tension and Compression Forces in Physics?

In summary, the force of tension in the chain can be found by resolving vertically and horizontally, using the given mass of 20.4 kg and angle of 22 degrees. The force of tension was calculated to be 534N, with a horizontal component of 495N. A free body diagram would also be helpful in visualizing the solution.
dani123
Find the force of tension in the chain. Determine the force of compression in the support bar. Be sure to include a free body diagram as part of your solution.

Now the only information given is a mass=20.4 kg and the angle 22 degrees.

If anyone could help me with this question, it would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance!

This is what I attempted to do to find a solution:
Fgravity= mg=20.4*9.8=200N

Then to find the tension I did the following:
Tcos(90-22degrees)-200N=0
0.375*T=200N
T=534N------> this would be our vertical component

Resolving horizontally gives:
x-Tcos(22)=0
x=534N*0.927
x=495N

Physics news on Phys.org

A figure would be a great help.

graph.jpg

hopefully your able to see that.. thanks again for taking the time to look at my post!

I did not work through your math, but it looks OK. So what is the problem? It looks like you have found your answer.

I just wasn't feeling very confident with how I got it, I guess I was just looking for a someone to back me up on it haha thanks!

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension and Compression Forces in Physics?

1. What is the definition of force of compression?

The force of compression is the force that acts on an object to decrease its volume or compress it. It is a type of force that is exerted inwards towards the center of an object.

2. How is force of compression calculated?

The force of compression can be calculated using the formula F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the object is compressed. The unit of measurement for force of compression is Newtons (N).

3. What factors affect the force of compression?

The force of compression is affected by the stiffness of the material, the amount of compression applied, and the surface area of the object. The force of compression also increases as the distance of compression decreases.

4. How is force of compression different from force of tension?

The force of compression is a force that acts inwards towards the center of an object, while the force of tension is a force that acts outwards away from the center of an object. Additionally, force of compression is used to decrease the volume of an object, while force of tension is used to increase the length of an object.

5. How can I find the force of compression in a real-life scenario?

In a real-life scenario, you can find the force of compression by using a spring scale to measure the force applied, and a ruler to measure the distance of compression. Then, you can use the formula F = kx to calculate the force of compression.