How Do You Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a Two-Block Pulley System?

In summary, block1 with a mass of 8.63 kg is on an inclined plane with no friction at a 30 degree angle from the horizontal. It is connected to block2 with a string-pulley system with no mass or friction. Block2 has a mass of 1.24 kg and is on a horizontal plane with a kinetic friction of .145. The goal is to find the tension in the string and the acceleration of the blocks. By separately applying Newton's 2nd law to each block and combining the equations, the tension and acceleration can be solved. Using the formula F=ma, the tension is found to be 22.045 N, but this does not match the expected answer. To solve this
ViewtifulBeau
Block1 has a mass of 8.63 kg and block2 has a mass of 1.24 kg. b1 is on an inclined plane with no friction. The plane is 30 degrees from the horizontal. b1 is connected to b2 with a string-pully system (no mass or friction). b2 is on a horizontal plane witha kinetic friction of .145 Block m1 is sliding down, pulling block m2. I have to find the tension in the string and the acceleration of the blocks. so i did this:

(mass(b1) * 9.81 * sin 30) + (mass(b2) * 9.81 * .145) = T

to find the tension which equals 44.09 which is not the answer. I can find the acceleration once i get the tension i believe by f=ma.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most straightforward way to solve this problem is by separately applying Newton's 2nd law to each block. Combine those equations to solve for the tension and acceleration, the two unknowns. (Since the blocks are connected, they both have the same acceleration.)

i tried F=ma and i got 22.045 N and it still doesn't work

Did you do what I suggested? Apply F=ma to each block separately. You'll get two equations.

yeah i did it and i got :

(U*g*m(2) + m(1)*g* sin(theta))/2 = T

so it was (1.7638 + 42.37) /2 = 22.04 = T

but it is not right

Analyze each block separately:
(a) Identify the forces on m1; Apply F = ma to m1.
(b) Identify the forces on m2; Apply F = ma to m2.

You'll get two equations. Do this.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a Two-Block Pulley System?

What is "Two blocks and a string"?

"Two blocks and a string" is a simple physics experiment that involves two blocks connected by a string. It is often used to demonstrate concepts such as tension, friction, and Newton's laws of motion.

What materials are needed for the "Two blocks and a string" experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include two blocks of different weights, a piece of string, a ruler, and a smooth surface to place the blocks on.

What is the purpose of "Two blocks and a string"?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. By varying the weight of the blocks and the tension in the string, one can observe how these factors affect the motion of the blocks.

What are some variations of the "Two blocks and a string" experiment?

There are several variations of this experiment that can be conducted, such as changing the angle of the string, using different surfaces, or adding additional blocks to the system. These variations can help to further explore the principles of force and motion.

What can be learned from the "Two blocks and a string" experiment?

This experiment can help to reinforce concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, tension, and friction. It also allows for hands-on exploration of these concepts and can help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.