How Do You Calculate Strain Energy in Beams Using Integral Equations?

In summary: Just as in the case of the cantilever beam, you can find a symbolic expression for M(s) for the simply-supported beam and use the square that expression for M(s) to evaluate the integral which gives U. In this case, it might be easier to split the integration interval 0 ≤ s ≤ L into two parts.
smr101
I can't work out the strain energy using the integral equation here, question (b)(i).

I've got the bending moment for the first beam as 400kN.

E and I are given, I'm guessing you can take '2EI' out of the integral and just integrate the M^2, is that correct?
OcWeW.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
smr101 said:
I can't work out the strain energy using the integral equation here, question (b)(i).

I've got the bending moment for the first beam as 400kN.

E and I are given, I'm guessing you can take '2EI' out of the integral and just integrate the M^2, is that correct?
OcWeW.jpg

To calculate the strain energy of the beams, you need to know the function of M w.r.t. the length coordinate of each beam, which is s here.

So the strain energy is more accurately represented by the following integral:

##U=\int_0^L \frac {M^2(s)}{2EI} \, ds##

If EI is a constant value over the length of the beam, it can be moved before the integral sign, like any other constant.

SteamKing said:
To calculate the strain energy of the beams, you need to know the function of M w.r.t. the length coordinate of each beam, which is s here.

So the strain energy is more accurately represented by the following integral:

If EI is a constant value over the length of the beam, it can be moved before the integral sign, like any other constant.

This is what I thought would be the case, I did the following:

2EIU = M^2*s

U = 400,000^2 * 4 / (2 * 200x10^9 * 60.8x10^-6)

= 26.315 kJ

The solution states the answer is 8.772 kJ.

Which strangely enough is exactly a third of the answer I got it...

smr101 said:
This is what I thought would be the case, I did the following:

2EIU = M^2*s

U = 400,000^2 * 4 / (2 * 200x10^9 * 60.8x10^-6)

= 26.315 kJ

The solution states the answer is 8.772 kJ.

Which strangely enough is exactly a third of the answer I got it...

In each beam case, M(s) ≠ constant over the length of the beam.

Remember drawing shear and bending moment diagrams for beams with various loadings? The integral of the strain energy in bending is the area under those bending moment curves squared term-by-term, then divided by 2EI. That's the calculation you are supposed to do here.

SteamKing said:
In each beam case, M(s) ≠ constant over the length of the beam.

Remember drawing shear and bending moment diagrams for beams with various loadings? The integral of the strain energy in bending is the area under those bending moment curves squared term-by-term, then divided by 2EI. That's the calculation you are supposed to do here.

I'm not understand what you mean by 'squared term by term'. What terms?

Again, I've noticed for the second beam doing what I did in my last post and dividing by 3 gives the correct solution.

smr101 said:
I'm not understand what you mean by 'squared term by term'. What terms?
I meant point-by-point.
The bending moment curve for a cantilever beam loaded at the end is this:

cantilever1.JPG

In order to evaluate the integral
you must square the ordinates of the bending moment diagram.

Since the ordinates of this bending moment diagram vary linearly with the coordinate s, which runs along the length of the beam, you can find a symbolic expression for M(s) as a function of s and then square that expression and evaluate the integral for U.
Again, I've noticed for the second beam doing what I did in my last post and dividing by 3 gives the correct solution.

The bending moment diagram for the second beam is similar to the one below:

2000px-Shear_Moment_Diagram.svg.png

Just as in the case of the cantilever beam, you can find a symbolic expression for M(s) for the simply-supported beam and use the square that expression for M(s) to evaluate the integral which gives U. In this case, it might be easier to split the integration interval 0 ≤ s ≤ L into two parts.

Likes smr101

Related to How Do You Calculate Strain Energy in Beams Using Integral Equations?

1. What is strain energy due to bending?

Strain energy due to bending is the potential energy stored in a material as a result of being bent or deformed. It is the energy required to bend a material to a certain angle or shape and then return it to its original state.

2. How is strain energy due to bending calculated?

The formula for calculating strain energy due to bending is U = (1/2)EI(1/R)^2, where U is the strain energy, E is the modulus of elasticity of the material, I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section, and R is the radius of curvature of the bent material.

3. What factors affect the amount of strain energy due to bending?

The amount of strain energy due to bending is affected by several factors, including the material's modulus of elasticity, the moment of inertia of the cross-section, and the magnitude of the bending force or load applied to the material.

4. How is strain energy due to bending used in engineering and design?

Strain energy due to bending is an important concept in engineering and design, as it helps engineers determine the strength and stability of structures and components. It is also used in the design of beams, columns, and other load-bearing elements to ensure they can withstand the expected bending forces.

5. Can strain energy due to bending be released or dissipated?

Yes, strain energy due to bending can be released or dissipated through the use of braces, supports, or other structural components. It can also be released through the controlled failure of a structure or component, such as in the case of a safety mechanism.