Calculating Bending Moment and Microstrain in Hollow Circular Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a hollow circular beam with an outside diameter of 350mm, wall thickness of 60mm, and length of 2m. The beam is subjected to a force of 200KN applied at its midpoint. The equations used for the solution are o(bending)=My/I and E=60 Gpa. A mistake is made in the calculation of the bending moment, as the correct value is 100kNm. The correct strain is also calculated to be 44.92 microstrain, and it is noted that the measurement of y is in meters, not meters squared. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to brush up on units and working with the metric system when calculating bending moments.
rishi123

Homework Statement

Hollow circular beam with outside diameter 350mm, and wall thickness of 60mm

E=60 Gpa

beam length 2m

Force applied to beam at midpoint of beam (1m from each end)

F=200KN

Force applie from the Top down, Ra , and rb from bottom up

Homework Equations

Used o(bending)=My/I

The Attempt at a Solution

Got I correct as 599.29x10^-6(m^4)

I think the bending moment is 100knm, but put in 50knm(wrong)

I was wondering if y=0.175(half of outside diameter in metres)

i got 14.60MPA(10^9) by doing, 50,000[bending moment]*0.175[y]/599.29*10^-6

When replacing 50,000 with 100,000 i get 29.201MPA, and for the microstrain i get:

E=65*10^9=29.201221*10^6/strain

rearrange for strain

strain = 29.201*10^6/65*10^9 = 44.92495067*10^ -5 or 44.92 microstrain

Attachments

• stressb2.png
    stressb2.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
y is measured in meters, not meter^2.

Bending moment is measured in N-m

You need to brush up on units and how to calculate bending moments.

SteamKing said:
y is measured in meters, not meter^2.

Bending moment is measured in N-m

You need to brush up on units and how to calculate bending moments.

that was a mistake, an editing error

as later shown, y=0.175mm, ( which is the half of outside diameter )

could you eloborate on what i need to brush up on, where i can attain this information?

Add to the list above, need to work on metric system. Half of 350 mm is 175 mm, not 0.175 mm (which is a teeny-tiny measurement)

Working out bending moments starts with drawing a free-body diagram of the beam and figuring out the loads.

Once the FBD is in static equilibrium, you can construct the shear force and bending moment diagrams for the beam.

By inspection of the beam, it's easy to see that Rl = Rr = 100 kN. You should be able to figure out the moment from this information.

I would first like to commend you on your attempt at solving this problem. It appears that you have correctly calculated the moment of inertia and bending moment of the beam. However, I would like to point out a few things that may help improve your solution.

Firstly, when calculating the bending moment, it is important to consider the direction of the applied force. In this case, the force is applied from the top down, so the bending moment should be negative (-100kNm) to indicate a downward bending.

Secondly, your calculation for the bending stress appears to be incorrect. The correct equation to use would be σ = M*c/I, where c is the distance from the centroid of the beam to the outermost fiber (in this case, half of the outside diameter). Using this equation, I get a bending stress of 43.08 MPa, which is slightly lower than your calculated value.

Lastly, for the microstrain calculation, you have used the wrong value for E. The problem statement states that the Young's modulus (E) is 60 GPa, not 65 GPa. Using the correct value, I get a microstrain of 44.92, which matches your calculation.

Overall, your approach to solving this problem is correct, but I would suggest double-checking your calculations and using the correct values in your equations. Keep up the good work!

Related to Calculating Bending Moment and Microstrain in Hollow Circular Beam

1. What is bending moment in a hollow circular beam?

Bending moment is a measure of the internal force that causes a beam to bend. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the beam by the distance from the point of application to the point of interest.

2. How do you calculate bending moment in a hollow circular beam?

To calculate bending moment in a hollow circular beam, you will need to know the load applied to the beam, the distance from the applied load to the point of interest, and the properties of the beam such as its cross-sectional area and moment of inertia. Then, you can use the formula M = Fd, where M is the bending moment, F is the applied load, and d is the distance from the load to the point of interest.

3. What is microstrain in a hollow circular beam?

Microstrain is a unit used to measure the strain, or deformation, of a material. It is equal to one millionth of a strain, and is often used to measure very small deformations in structures such as beams.

4. How do you calculate microstrain in a hollow circular beam?

To calculate microstrain in a hollow circular beam, you will need to know the change in length of the beam and its original length. Then, you can use the formula ε = ΔL/L, where ε is the microstrain, ΔL is the change in length, and L is the original length of the beam.

5. What factors can affect bending moment and microstrain in a hollow circular beam?

Some factors that can affect bending moment and microstrain in a hollow circular beam include the material properties of the beam, the applied load, the beam's cross-sectional area, and its length. Other factors such as temperature, vibration, and external forces can also contribute to changes in bending moment and microstrain in a beam.