How Do You Calculate Speed and Tension in a Swinging Fairground Ride?

In summary, rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the rotation of an object and can be seen in objects such as wheels, planets, and spinning tops. Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis and is measured in radians per second. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate and is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is dependent on the mass and distribution of an object's mass around an axis of rotation. Real world applications of rotational motion include the rotation of wheels on a car, the movement of gears in machinery, and the rotation of the Earth
bob 911
There is a fairground ride where chairs connected to chains swing around. (See attachment for diagram).

The length of the supporting chains is 3m
The length of the top beam to the centre is 2m
The supporting chains make an angle of 25 degrees to the vertical.

A) What is the speed of rotation.
B) What is the tension in the chain when a person of 65kg is on at this speed.

My Solution

A
I equated the centripetal force to F1Sin(Theta).
I equated the weight to F1Cos(Theta).
I simultaneously divided the two, so I had Tan(Theta)= (MV^2/R) / (MG)
Rearranging and replacing v with the w equivalent I ended up with
W= square root of ((gtan25)/(r))

Is this the correct method?

B

I am unsure whether the speed itself plays a part here.
Instead do you not just work out the component of the weight acting in the direction of the swing at that angle. This component is equal to the tension that is required.

Or do you have to use the speed to calculate the tension?

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

• Question.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 160
Physics news on Phys.org

A) Your method is correct. To find the speed of rotation, you can use the equation v = √(g * tanθ * r), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the chains, and r is the length of the chains. In this case, g = 9.8 m/s², θ = 25 degrees, and r = 3m. So, the speed of rotation would be v = √(9.8 * tan25 * 3) = 5.81 m/s.

B) You are correct in your thinking that the tension in the chain will be equal to the component of the weight acting in the direction of the swing at that angle. This component can be calculated using the formula T = mg * sinθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the person (65kg), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the chains (25 degrees). So, the tension in the chain when a person of 65kg is on the ride at this speed would be T = (65 * 9.8) * sin25 = 162.44 N.

Related to How Do You Calculate Speed and Tension in a Swinging Fairground Ride?

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the rotation of an object and can be seen in objects such as wheels, planets, and spinning tops.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second and is represented by the symbol ω.

How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object and is represented by the symbol τ.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of an object's mass around an axis of rotation.

What are some real world applications of rotational motion?

Rotational motion is used in many real world applications, such as the rotation of wheels on a car, the movement of gears in machinery, and the rotation of the Earth on its axis. It is also important in understanding the motion of celestial bodies in space.