How Do You Calculate Sine from a Point on an Angle's Terminal Side?

In summary, to find the sine of an angle \theta, you can either use the coordinates of a point on the terminal side of the angle or use the lengths of sides of a right angled triangle formed by the given point and the vertex of the angle. The sine of the angle is equal to the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.
danglade
urgent: sines

if you are given a point on the terminal side of an angle 0 , explain how to find sin 0

Please i really need help with this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry but I don't understand your question :( If you want to know what the value of sin 0 is, have you seen the trigonometric functions defined on the unit circle?

thats why, because my teacher gave me that question in the review and i don't understand either

Ok don't worry about the unit circle. Draw a right angled triangle, with one of the smaller angles being T degrees. Name the opposite side X, hypotenuse Y and the adjacent side Z. Now think in your head about changing the angle T. As T gets smaller, so does the Side X, and the Side Y. But Y only gets smaller by a tiny amount, in fact the smallest reducing the angle can make it is the length of side Z. Side X doesn't stay a finite amount though, it becomes zero when you make the angle zero. Hence the Sine of T is 0/Z is if is 0. ie sin 0= 0.

@GibZ: Which point does "a point on the terminal side of an angle 0" refer to??

danglade said:
thats why, because my teacher gave me that question in the review and i don't understand either

NO, your teacher did NOT give you that question! You teacher would expect you to know immediately that sin 0= 0! You teacher probably asked about [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex].

If you are given a point on the terminal side of an angle of measure, [itex]\theta[/itex], set up a coordinate system so that the vertex of the angle is at (0,0), the initial side of the angle is along the positive x-axis and the distance from one to the given point on the terminal side is 1. Then [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex]= y coordinate of the point.

Alternatively, drop a perpendicular from the given point on the terminal side to the initial side. Measure N, the distance from the vertex of the angle to the foot of the perpendicular, and H, the distance from the vertex to the given point. [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] = N/H.

Related to How Do You Calculate Sine from a Point on an Angle's Terminal Side?

1. What is the definition of sin 0?

Sin 0 is the trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the side opposite to the angle 0 and the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

2. How do you find the value of sin 0?

The value of sin 0 can be found by using a calculator or by using a trigonometric table. Alternatively, it can also be found by using the formula sin 0 = opposite side/hypotenuse.

3. Can sin 0 be negative?

Yes, sin 0 can be negative in certain quadrants of a unit circle. In the first and fourth quadrants, sin 0 is positive, but in the second and third quadrants, it is negative.

4. Is there a specific unit for measuring sin 0?

Sin 0 is a ratio and therefore does not have a specific unit for measurement. However, the value of sin 0 can be expressed in radians or degrees, depending on the unit of measurement used for the angle 0.

5. How does the value of sin 0 relate to other trigonometric functions?

The value of sin 0 is closely related to the values of other trigonometric functions such as cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent. For example, sin 0 is the reciprocal of cosecant 0 and the inverse of arcsine 0.