How Do You Calculate Root Mean Square Uncertainty?

In summary: This can be applied to other factors being measured as well. It is also known as the mean squared error. In summary, the Root Mean Square Uncertainty is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the errors divided by the number of error terms available, and it is also referred to as the mean squared error.
Autanimous
Root Mean Square Uncertainty [solved]

My TA gave us a paper after this assignment regarding how to do Root Mean Square Uncertainty, however I can't read her handwriting...

I think I get the gist of it, but It's written so strange I need to check.

Is it

sqrt( [(error1)^2+(error2)^2+...(errorN)^2]/N ) where N is the number of error terms available.

Error1 would be the possible error in the measurement of One of the factors being measured.
In my case I measured some resistance at .358 with a ±.001 factor... so I would input the ±.001 into the equation then do the same with the Radius I measured for a different part of it, then the width etc?

Is that how it's done... or am I completely misunderstanding. The way it's written on what she gave us I feel like I'm misunderstanding but that makes logical sense so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for the help ^.^

EDIT:
Sorry. I had been searching for explanations online but it seems that it is normally titled the 'mean squared error' (the wikipedia humorously didn't show up for like 20 pages under the other title) and now that I've found that page I've got it down.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Again, thanks for the help guys.Yes, you are correct. The Root Mean Square Uncertainty (RMSU) is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the errors divided by the number of error terms available. For example, if you measured the resistance of a circuit at 0.358 with a ±0.001 factor, then the RMSU would be calculated as sqrt((0.001^2 + 0.001^2)/2) = 0.001.

Related to How Do You Calculate Root Mean Square Uncertainty?

1. What is root mean square uncertainty?

Root mean square uncertainty, also known as RMS uncertainty, is a statistical measure of the average deviation of a set of values from their mean value. It is often used to quantify the overall uncertainty of a measurement or set of data points.

2. How is root mean square uncertainty calculated?

To calculate root mean square uncertainty, you first square the deviations of each data point from the mean, then take the average of these squared values, and finally take the square root of this average. The resulting value is the root mean square uncertainty.

3. What is the difference between root mean square uncertainty and standard deviation?

Root mean square uncertainty and standard deviation are both measures of the spread or variability of a set of data. The main difference is that standard deviation is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared deviations from the mean, while root mean square uncertainty is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared data points.

4. How is root mean square uncertainty used in scientific research?

Root mean square uncertainty is commonly used in scientific research to quantify the uncertainty of measurements and data analysis. It is an important tool for evaluating the reliability and accuracy of experimental results and for comparing different data sets.

5. Can root mean square uncertainty be reduced?

Root mean square uncertainty is a measure of the inherent variability or imprecision of a set of data, and it cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by increasing the precision of measurements, increasing the sample size, or improving experimental techniques.