Does anyone know how to calculate absolute uncertainty?

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the absolute uncertainty in their measurements of the time taken by an object to cover a certain distance. They have a range of values for their measurements and an instrument uncertainty of 0.001 s. They are considering using the range divided by the number of values as the absolute uncertainty, but are unsure if this is the correct approach.
nchin
Does anyone know how to calculate absolute uncertainty??

A student repeatedly measures the time taken by an object to cover a certain distance and obtains the following data:

t1 = 2.432 s, t2 = 2.393 s, t3 = 2.402 s, t4 = 2.412 s, t5 = 2.424 s

The instrument uncertainty is 0.001 s

What should the student report as the absolute uncertainty in the measurement? HINT: The absolute uncertainty can be given by either the instrument uncertainty or the standard error (approximated by R/N) in the measurements

This is what I've done:

so since the instrument uncertainty is 0.001 s then.

t1 = (2.432 ± 0.001)s
t2 = (2.393 ± 0.001)s
t3 = (2.402 ± 0.001)s
t4 = (2.412 ± 0.001)s
t5 = (2.424 ± 0.001)s

help! what do i do? do i add the uncertainties together like 0.001 + 0.001...?

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you clarify what is meant by "standard error (approximated by R/N)"? In the textbook, or wherever this comes from, what are R and N?

haruspex said:
Can you clarify what is meant by "standard error (approximated by R/N)"? In the textbook, or wherever this comes from, what are R and N?

I believe R stands for range and N is the number of values.

values"

so range is highest - smallest. 2.432-2.393 = 0.039
and the number of values is 5

so 0.039/5 = .0078

hmm could this be the answer?

nvm i don't think this is the answer cause I am pretty sure i need to somehow include the instrument uncertainty in my calculations?

nchin said:
I believe R stands for range and N is the number of values.

values"

so range is highest - smallest. 2.432-2.393 = 0.039
and the number of values is 5

so 0.039/5 = .0078

hmm could this be the answer?

I considered that, but it doesn't make sense. Why would you divide by N? If you took 1000 measurements and they all fell in this range then R/N would become very small, yet the range of scatter has stayed the same.
An engineer might take the minimum reading - .001 to max reading + .001. But I can't square that with the hint. A statistician would treat this as the sum of two independent random variables, perhaps taking each to be normally distributed. But then you have to decide how many standard deviations you mean by 'absolute error'.

haruspex said:
I considered that, but it doesn't make sense. Why would you divide by N? If you took 1000 measurements and they all fell in this range then R/N would become very small, yet the range of scatter has stayed the same.
An engineer might take the minimum reading - .001 to max reading + .001. But I can't square that with the hint. A statistician would treat this as the sum of two independent random variables, perhaps taking each to be normally distributed. But then you have to decide how many standard deviations you mean by 'absolute error'.

hey the answer was 0.039/5 = .0078

thanks !

Related to Does anyone know how to calculate absolute uncertainty?

1. How is absolute uncertainty calculated?

Absolute uncertainty is calculated by taking the difference between the measured value and the accepted or true value. It is usually represented by the symbol '∆' and is expressed in the same units as the measured value.

2. What is the purpose of calculating absolute uncertainty?

The purpose of calculating absolute uncertainty is to determine the margin of error in a measurement. It allows scientists to understand the precision and accuracy of their data and to account for any uncertainties in their experimental procedures.

3. Can absolute uncertainty be negative?

No, absolute uncertainty cannot be negative. It is always expressed as a positive value, as it represents the magnitude of the difference between the measured value and the accepted value.

4. How does absolute uncertainty differ from relative uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty is the actual difference between the measured value and the accepted value, while relative uncertainty is expressed as a percentage of the measured value. Absolute uncertainty takes into account the magnitude of the difference, while relative uncertainty provides a standardized measure for comparison.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating absolute uncertainty?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating absolute uncertainty. It assumes that the measurement follows a normal distribution and does not account for systematic errors or uncertainties in the accepted value. Additionally, it can only provide a general estimation of the uncertainty and may not accurately reflect the true uncertainty in a measurement.